North of 60 Research Projects
Are you interested in digging deeper, leading or participating in Research Projects that could help us become more successful beekeepers (healthier bees, better overwintering results, higher yields, help the environment)? The goal is to develop pertinent open source projects where we openly share the information and data. To date, I have self funded all of these projects from my beekeeping courses and I have made sure to involve and share all the findings with the North of 60 community of people interested in beekeeping.
Let me know if you would like to participate or have ideas of other projects that would help us.
- Hive Monitoring (Hive Temperature, Humidity, Weight & Local Weather Impacts)
- Annual Winter Survival Survey
- Northern Nosema Monitoring (Microscopy for Beekeeping)
- Climate Impact and choosing the best approach
- Honeydew Honey in the north
- Citizen Science Toolkit
- Yukon Bush Honey (identify climate, forage (floral/honeydew) and bloom date to get best yields)
- Yukon Pollen Sources Study (Availability, Volume, Timing, Dearths) - New 2020
- Northern Queen Rearing (Attempt and Develop a Northern Queen Rearing Strategy) - New 2019
In the Pipeline:
- Making Yukon Mite free (Encouraging the treatment of all 1st year hives and active mite population monitoring)
- Comparing Polystyrene, Wood hive with 2" Styro and the Commercial Wrapped hives overwintering performance