Mohamed W. Mehrez, MSc, PhD
Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, NL
Mohamed Received the B.Sc. (Hons.) degree in Mechatronics Engineering from Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt, in 2007; the M.Sc. degree in Mechatronics Engineering from German University in Cairo, Cairo, Egypt, in 2010; and the Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. Johns, NL, Canada, in 2017. During his PhD, Mohamed was a Visiting Scholar with the Technische Universität Ilmenau, Ilmenau, Germany; the Karlsruher Institut für Technologie, Karlsruhe, Germany; and Universität Bremen, Bremen, Germany. He was also a post-doctoral fellow and a sessional professor with Memorial University during the period (March to September, 2017). In his Postdoc with MUN he worked on pack ice field estimation for aided ship navigation. During the period (October, 2017 to June, 2018) he was a sessional professor with Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt. His research interests include control and state estimation of mobile robots with a particular focus on optimization-based solutions.
Honors and Awards:
- Fellow of the School of Graduate Studies, Memorial University of Newfoundland (May, 2017).
- Nominee of the Chancellor's Graduate Award, Memorial University of Newfoundland (May, 2017).
- Pass with Distinction merit of the PhD thesis defense, Memorial University of Newfoundland (April, 2017).
- The Gold, the Silver, and the Bronze Volunteer Awards by Volunteer Incentive Program (VIP) of Memorial University of Newfoundland.
- The Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, Memorial University of Newfoundland (June, 2015).
- Junior’s Summer School scholarship, Elgersburg, Germany (Sept, 2014).
- The graduate students union (GSU) Award for Excellence in PhD Research, Memorial University of Newfoundland (April, 2014).
- PhD Scholarship, Memorial University of Newfoundland, (2012-2016).
- M.Sc. Scholarship, German University in Cairo, (2008-2010).
- Ranked the 5th, out of (92 graduates), of the 2007 Mechatronics Engineering class, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt, (2007).
- Academic Excellence Award, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt, (2002-2007).