First-Year Experience Research Resources
This site has been developed as a resource for students in the 2018 spring subject: Designing the First Year at MIT. to give students a broad background on factors and practices that contribute to positive and effective first-year experiences. The Teaching + Learning Lab has compiled these resources in collaboration with: Institutional Research (IR), The Priscilla King Gray (PKG) Public Service Center, and Undergraduate Advising & Academic Programs (UAAP).
The site includes:
- Information from the scholarly literature on the skills, beliefs and behaviors known to impact student success;
- Evidence-based high-impact practices for the first year of college;
- An environmental scan that includes information on notable and effective components of 1st year experiences at other institutions in the U.S. and throughout the world;
- MIT-commissioned studies, reports and initiatives that address the first-year experience and undergraduate education @ MIT in general;
- Data Resources related to the demographics, accomplishments, interests, and opinions of MIT students from sources across the Institute;
- The MIT First-Year Calendar with current milestones and deadlines for first-year students.