SERMON SPECIFIC RESOURCES
August 19, 2018
- A Chart of all the Kings of Israel and Judah (there are many out there. This may be one of the better ones)
- A quick synopsis of the monarchy of Israel (from Samuel to Solomon) Check out SparkNotes (see summaries for 1 & 2 Samuel and 1 & 2 Kings)
- Read Song of Solomon from the Bible- see Bible.com or read from the app. This is a unique piece of literature in the Bible attributed to Solomon the King of Israel.
August 12, 2018
August 5, 2018
- I mentioned Exodus 16 in the sermon (Manna in the Wilderness)- Read from Bible Gateway
- There are lots of articles on the internet about the health benefits of making bread- try this one: Baking and Mental Health: Therapy in a Bag of Flour
- Some questions to ponder: Do you need more patience for anything? Is there something in your faith that needs more practice? What do you need to prioritize in your life to be more effective?
July 29, 2018
- Here is the website for Church of the Savior in Washington, DC that I mentioned at the end of the sermon- inwardoutward.org. They are still in the business of the Journey Inward and Outward as a church.
- Video- Celebrating the Ministry of the Laity
- How are we offering HOPE as a church? (How are we involved in the community through Hospitality, Offering Christ, Purpose, Engagement?)
July 15, 2018
Scripture- here are a few resources that will assist you in reading the Bible more systematically and consistently:
- The Revised Common Lectionary- this 3 year system of readings will be a primary source of Bible readings at Rehobeth UMC for the time being. Spend some time each week reading with the congregation.
- Bible.com There is a web version and a phone app version of this resource. There are dozens of translations to use, verse a day reminders and other great resourcces to keep the Bible in front of you.
- The Bible Project- This is a bigger collection of resources for reading the Bible--but my favorite is the app to read the whole Bible in 365 days. If you want a challenge, give it a try.
Prayers- here are some resources to assist you with daily prayer and devotion:
- The Upper Room- one of the longest running devotional guides in the world. The only version is very easy to use.
- Common Prayer- this is a resource I discovered working with young clergy several years back. Some small communities use this resource daily as a way of praying together.