The program is for students currently enrolled in a graduate program in Mathematics or a related field, new PhD recipients who graduated in the semester prior to the workshop, and current postdoctoral researchers.
Funding from sponsors helps cover travel costs and room and board for participants. Some funding for international students is expected to be available.
A complete application will consist of the following components.
- A current CV of at most two pages.
- A statement of interest of at most two pages written by the applicant. This should address (a) the applicant's research interests and experiences, and (b) the potential benefits to the applicant should they be selected to participate in the workshop. This is an important component in participant selection and should be carefully prepared, and when possible feedback from a mentor and others should be sought out.
- A proposed research problem of at most two pages that may be selected to be presented during the workshop. The proposal should include relevant definitions, a brief overview of previous work (with citations), a statement of the problem(s) or conjecture(s), and a plan for how to begin working. More information about the problem proposal can be found in a description of GRWC, and previously accepted problem proposals can be found in the Problem Garden. (Previously proposed problems are unlikely to be considered again, but if the problem has multiple aspects, specifically state how the proposal differs from previous proposals.)
- A letter of recommendation from a research mentor. Only one letter is required; a short letter sent by email is acceptable. This letter should assess the participants readiness to engage in research and participate in a collaborative setting. Funding for participants will be provided through the workshop, so financial support does not need to be addressed.
- (International applicants only.) Include an answer to the following question in your email when you submit: Will you require travel support to participate in the workshop?
All application materials should be submitted by email to: