Please see below for updates, information, and announcements from the Downtown School!
We've been hard at work preparing for another wonderful year at the Downtown School! I can't wait to meet you and your students.
As always, refer to our website for important dates and information.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have a question. We are here to serve.
Click the above link for more information on the program.
Des Moines Public Schools and The Downtown School will be partnering with Breakfast in the Classroom this upcoming school year. Students will have the option to grab breakfast on their way to their learning space FREE OF CHARGE to parents. There will be options and the menu will be posted soon.
Traffic Patterns - Pickup and Dismissal
- Round about in front of our main entrance (North side) No parent parking until after 8:30.
- Student drop off can also happen behind our building (South side) at the doors before our playground until 8:00.
- Parents also have the option, with a Downtown School parking tag, to park along the south side of Grand Ave where marked and walk their students across the street.
- Staff will be present at all entrances and our round about to ensure safety and convenience.
- 5/6 and 7/8's will be picked up in the front of our building as cars approach the front of the line.
- 9/10's and siblings will be picked up behind our building (South Side)
Suggested School Supply Lists
Please click the links below to access our suggested supply lists. We understand that incoming 5 year olds will not know their teacher until after our Jump Start event. Please find commonalities between lists and don't worry if anything needs to be brought in after our start date.
I'm extremely proud of the new teachers that will be joining the Downtown School family and I know that you will as well! Please see below on an update of our Teacher Teams for the 2017-2018 school year!
5/6 - Teams will stay in tact as they existed for the 2016-2017 school year.
Barb Leise - Jeff Kerns
Abby Boruff - Stephanie Hubka
Jen Jones - Michelle Wheeler
Melanie Schroeder - Mollie Erpelding
Marja Bearda - Rachelle Gerstel
Tracy Donovan - Barb Edwards
Jen Mann - Hannah Bankson
Dana Allen - Teacher
Hope Jones - Special Education Associate
- We will also be hiring an additional Special Education teacher and Associate. Job openings will be posted soon and we look forward to finding two new wonderful additions to our already stellar staff!