In each edition of our Math Teachers' Circle, we'll engage in some mathematical problem solving activities and introduce one inquiry-driven course module appropriate for a middle or high school mathematics classroom and specifically linked to the New York Next Generation Learning Standards. Information about each session will be available here in advance. Food will be provided at each session.
Time & location:
- Each session will be at Buffalo State College
- Each session will run 5:00 - 7:00pm
- Parking permits will be handed out to those who register upon arrival on campus. Parking is best in lot I-37 (off of Iroquois Dr.). A campus map of Buffalo State can be found here [pdf] or here (e-map).
- The 2020 sessions will be in SAMC 169.
- Thursday, February 6
- Cancelled due to snow
- Thursday, March 5
- Review/discuss/attempt problems from other sources so that we can learn about inquiry based lessons and tasks already published that also fit our goals. Open Middle, IM, CPM, Utah MVP Math, etc.
- Thursday, May 7
- Tuesday, June 2
- Thursday, September 26
- Average Rate of Change and Function Modeling
- This project is designed to have students create a function that models the average speed of an object the students put into motion (videos included).
- Thursday, October 17
- Tuesday, December 17
- The Washer Project: Using gravity to help students visualize a tough section in the functions section in Algebra I.