Assistant Professor at Católica-Lisbon School of Business and Economics
I am an applied economist (PhD LMU Munich) interested in innovation, intellectual property, digitization and the industrial organization of media markets. My research is empirical, mainly using secondary data from surveys, clickstream data, and data collected from the web.
With colleagues at LMU Munich, I run the Internet Observatory project.
- Catch Me if You Can: Effectiveness and Consequences of Online Copyright Enforcement (with Luis Aguiar and Jörg Claussen). Forthcoming in Information Systems Research. Last working paper version.
- Competition for Attention in the Digital Age: The Case of Single Releases in the Recorded Music Industry (2017, with Christian Essling and Johannes Koenen), Information Economics and Policy, 40, 26-40. Last working paper version.
- Piracy and Box Office Movie Revenues: Evidence from Megaupload (2017, with Jörg Claussen and Tobias Kretschmer), International Journal of Industrial Organization, 52, 188-215. Last working paper version.
- R&D Outsourcing and Intellectual Property Infringement (2015, with Philipp Buss), Research Policy, 44(4), 977-989. Last working paper version (including online-appendix).
- External Technology Supply and Client-Side Innovation (2012), in: D. Audretsch, E. Lehmann, A. Link, A. Starnecker (Eds.), Technology Transfer in a Global Economy, 161-184, Springer, New York. Last working paper version.
- Demand Variation, Strategic Flexibility and Market Entry: Evidence from the U.S. Airline Industry (with Jörg Claussen and Christian Essling). Conditionally accepted at Strategic Management Journal.
- Determinants and Heterogeneity of Switching Costs in IT Outsourcing: Estimates from Firm-Level Data. Revision submitted after conditional accept at European Journal of Information Systems.
Revise and Resubmit
- Video Killed the Radio Star? Online Music Videos and Recorded Music Sales (with Tobias Kretschmer). Revision requested by Information Systems Research.
- Follow the Money: Online Piracy and Self-Regulation in the Advertising Industry (with Michail Batikas and Jörg Claussen). Revision requested by International Journal of Industrial Organization.
- Social Networks, Social Communication and the Demand for News (with Lisa M. George). Revision requested by Information Economics and Policy.
- A Call for Research on the Economics of Data-driven Culture, Artificial Intelligence and Machine Creativity. Revision requested by Journal of Cultural Economics.
Work in progress or under review
- Digital Disintermediation and Efficiency in the Market for Ideas (with Imke Reimers)
- YouTube Decade: Cultural Convergence in Recorded Music (with Lisa M. George)
- Advertising and Consumer Tracking (with Anna D'Annunzio and Antonio Russo)
- Like it or Not! Facebook's Ability to Track Web Behavior (with Luis Aguiar and Jörg Claussen)
- Business Models in the Market for Online Advertising and Tracking (with Tobias Kretschmer)
- Man versus Machine: Targeting, Data and Externalities in Online News (with Jörg Claussen and Ananya Sen)
Examples of media coverage
- Follow the Money: Online Piracy and Self-Regulation in the Advertising Industry
- Catch Me if You Can: Effectiveness and Consequences of Online Copyright Enforcement
- Video Killed the Radio Star? Online Music Videos and Recorded Music Sales
- Piracy and Movie Revenues: Evidence from Megaupload