Senior Research Associate at ETH Zurich - Center for Law and Economics
Assistant Professor at Católica-Lisbon School of Business and Economics
Starting August 2020: Associate Professor (with tenure) at University of Lausanne (HEC)
I am interested in how digitization affects consumers, firms and markets, and how this shapes incentives to innovate. My research spans topics such as Intellectual Property and Economics of Data and Artificial Intelligence.
I'm co-organizing an online seminar series on economics and management of Digitization: Virtual Digital Economy Seminar (VIDE)
- Thursdays 5pm Central Europe, 11am Eastern
- Speakers: Joel Waldfogel, Avi Goldfarb, Catherine Tucker, Anindya Ghose, Dina Mayzlin, Matthew Gentzkow, Anja Lambrecht, Lynn Wu, Chris Forman.
- Panel on "Merger Policy in Digital Markets" with Luis Cabral, Fiona Scott-Morton, Tommaso Valetti, moderated by Tomaso Duso.
- More info and how to sign up as a participant: https://www.digitalecon.org/seminar
Publications in journals
- Video Killed the Radio Star? Online Music Videos and Recorded Music Sales (2020, with Tobias Kretschmer). Forthcoming in Information Systems Research. Last working paper version. VoxEU Article.
- Social Networks and the Demand for News (2019, with Lisa M. George). Information Economics and Policy, 49, 100833. Last working paper version.
- Follow the Money: Online Piracy and Self-Regulation in the Advertising Industry (2019, with Michail Batikas and Jörg Claussen), International Journal of Industrial Organization, 65, 121-151. Last working paper version.
- The Next Wave of Digital Technological Change and the Cultural Industries (2019), Journal of Cultural Economics, 43(2), 189–210. Last working paper version. EconomistsTalkArt Article, Interview (in German)
- Determinants and Heterogeneity of Switching Costs in IT Outsourcing: Estimates from Firm-Level Data (2019), European Journal of Information Systems, 28(3), 291-317. Last working paper version.
- Demand Variation, Strategic Flexibility and Market Entry: Evidence from the U.S. Airline Industry (2018, with Jörg Claussen and Christian Essling), Strategic Management Journal, 39(11), 2877-2898. Last working paper version.
- Catch Me if You Can: Effectiveness and Consequences of Online Copyright Enforcement (2018, with Luis Aguiar and Jörg Claussen), Information Systems Research, 29(3), 656-678. Last working paper version.
- Competition for Attention in the Digital Age: The Case of Single Releases in the Recorded Music Industry (2017, with Christian Essling and Johannes Koenen), Information Economics and Policy, 40, 26-40. Last working paper version.
- Piracy and Box Office Movie Revenues: Evidence from Megaupload (2017, with Jörg Claussen and Tobias Kretschmer), International Journal of Industrial Organization, 52, 188-215. Last working paper version.
- R&D Outsourcing and Intellectual Property Infringement (2015, with Philipp Buss), Research Policy, 44(4), 977-989. Last working paper version (including online-appendix).
Publications in edited volumes
- Flexible Digital Supply Behavior (2019), in S. Cameron (Ed.), A Research Agenda for Cultural Economics, Chapter 4, 63-86, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham.
- External Technology Supply and Client-Side Innovation (2012), in D. Audretsch, E. Lehmann, A. Link, A. Starnecker (Eds.), Technology Transfer in a Global Economy, 161-184, Springer, New York. Last working paper version.
Work under revision
- The Editor vs. the Algorithm: Targeting, Data and Externalities in Online News (with Jörg Claussen and Ananya Sen), Best Paper Award at WISE 2019. Revise and Resubmit at Management Science.
- Digital Disintermediation and Efficiency in the Market for Ideas (with Imke Reimers). Reject and Resubmit at Management Science.
Work in progress or under review
- YouTube Decade: Cultural Convergence in Recorded Music (with Lisa M. George)
- Obtaining Data from the Internet: A Guide to Data Crawling in Management Research (with Jörg Claussen)
- Advertising and Consumer Tracking: Theory and Evidence (with Anna D'Annunzio and Antonio Russo)
- Like it or Not! Facebook's Ability to Track Web Behavior (with Luis Aguiar and Jörg Claussen)
- The Impact of Machine Translation on International Trade (with Lisa M. George)
- The Welfare Effects of Access to Mobile Data (with Miguel Godinho de Matos and Martin Quinn)
Examples of media coverage
- The Editor vs. the Algorithm: Targeting, Data and Externalities in Online News
- Follow the Money: Online Piracy and Self-Regulation in the Advertising Industry
- Catch Me if You Can: Effectiveness and Consequences of Online Copyright Enforcement
- Video Killed the Radio Star? Online Music Videos and Recorded Music Sales
- Piracy and Movie Revenues: Evidence from Megaupload