Assistant Professor at Católica-Lisbon School of Business and Economics
Senior Research Associate at ETH Zurich - Center for Law and Economics
I am an applied economist (PhD LMU Munich) interested in how digitization affects consumers, firms and markets, and how this shapes incentives to innovate. My research spans topics such as Intellectual Property and Economics of Data and Artificial Intelligence. I work empirically, mainly using secondary data from surveys, clickstream data, and data collected from the web.
Publications in journals
- Video Killed the Radio Star? Online Music Videos and Recorded Music Sales (2019, with Tobias Kretschmer). Accepted at Information Systems Research. Last working paper version.
- Social Networks, Social Communication and the Demand for News (2019, with Lisa M. George). Forthcoming in Information Economics and Policy. Last working paper version.
- Follow the Money: Online Piracy and Self-Regulation in the Advertising Industry (2019, with Michail Batikas and Jörg Claussen), International Journal of Industrial Organization, 65, 121-151. Last working paper version.
- The Next Wave of Digital Technological Change and the Cultural Industries (2019), Journal of Cultural Economics, 43(2), 189–210. Last working paper version.
- Determinants and Heterogeneity of Switching Costs in IT Outsourcing: Estimates from Firm-Level Data (2019), European Journal of Information Systems, 28(3), 291-317. Last working paper version.
- Demand Variation, Strategic Flexibility and Market Entry: Evidence from the U.S. Airline Industry (2018, with Jörg Claussen and Christian Essling), Strategic Management Journal, 39(11), 2877-2898. Last working paper version.
- Catch Me if You Can: Effectiveness and Consequences of Online Copyright Enforcement (2018, with Luis Aguiar and Jörg Claussen), Information Systems Research, 29(3), 656-678. Last working paper version.
- Competition for Attention in the Digital Age: The Case of Single Releases in the Recorded Music Industry (2017, with Christian Essling and Johannes Koenen), Information Economics and Policy, 40, 26-40. Last working paper version.
- Piracy and Box Office Movie Revenues: Evidence from Megaupload (2017, with Jörg Claussen and Tobias Kretschmer), International Journal of Industrial Organization, 52, 188-215. Last working paper version.
- R&D Outsourcing and Intellectual Property Infringement (2015, with Philipp Buss), Research Policy, 44(4), 977-989. Last working paper version (including online-appendix).
Publications in edited volumes
- Flexible Digital Supply Behavior (2019), in S. Cameron (Ed.), A Research Agenda for Cultural Economics, Chapter 4, 63-86, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham.
- External Technology Supply and Client-Side Innovation (2012), in D. Audretsch, E. Lehmann, A. Link, A. Starnecker (Eds.), Technology Transfer in a Global Economy, 161-184, Springer, New York. Last working paper version.
Revise and Resubmit
- Digital Disintermediation and Efficiency in the Market for Ideas (with Imke Reimers). Revision submitted to RAND Journal of Economics.
Work in progress or under review
- The Welfare Effects of Access to Mobile Data (with Miguel Godinho de Matos and Martin Quinn)
- The Editor vs. the Algorithm: Targeting, Data and Externalities in Online News (with Jörg Claussen and Ananya Sen)
- Obtaining Data from the Internet: A Guide to Data Crawling in Management Research (with Jörg Claussen)
- Advertising and Consumer Tracking: Theory and Evidence (with Anna D'Annunzio and Antonio Russo)
- Like it or Not! Facebook's Ability to Track Web Behavior (with Luis Aguiar and Jörg Claussen)
- Business Models in the Market for Online Advertising and Tracking (with Tobias Kretschmer)
- The Impact of Machine Translation on International Trade (with Lisa M. George)
- YouTube Decade: Cultural Convergence in Recorded Music (with Lisa M. George)
Examples of media coverage
- The Editor vs. the Algorithm: Targeting, Data and Externalities in Online News
- Follow the Money: Online Piracy and Self-Regulation in the Advertising Industry
- Catch Me if You Can: Effectiveness and Consequences of Online Copyright Enforcement
- Video Killed the Radio Star? Online Music Videos and Recorded Music Sales
- Piracy and Movie Revenues: Evidence from Megaupload