Catholic Emblem Adult Counselors
Below are the current standards for Catholic Emblem program counselors/advisors in the Charlotte Diocese.
- Current Diocese of Charlotte "approved volunteer" status processed through your home parish office Volunteer Coordinator. Click here for the Charlotte Diocese Safe Environment policy and Info for volunteers.
- Current VIRTUS & Protecting God's Children certification
- Current BSA Youth Protection certification
- The Emblem Counselor should review and be familiar and comfortable with the guide/handbook content for the respective emblem program
- The Emblem Counselor should request written/e-mail permission from your pastor to teach the program. It's a good idea as he will likely have to sign the program completion page. Parish approval should be submitted to the CDCCOS Chaplain, Deacon Martin Ricart III at ServantScoutingDioceseOfCLT@gmail.com
- Recommended, but not required:
- Consider meeting with and briefly discussing the program with your pastor or Religious Education Coordinator/Director.
- For Boy Scouts - Merit Badge counselor training.
- For Cub Scouts - Den Leader training for the appropriate age/rank
For Boy Scouts, counselor must be registered with the Boy Scout of America. The program completion requirements and sign off must be dated before the youth's 18th birthday. Prior student participation in a Faith formation class does not necessarily cover parts of the emblem program content. The youth must participate in the experience through the exercises in their emblem workbook.
For the Cub Scout programs, the counselor (and parents) should feel the youth is mature enough to understand the program content.