About the Bledsoe County Public Library
The Bledsoe County Public Library, a small but first-rate facility, maintains a collection of materials for residents of all ages. Everything from bestselling novels to genealogy information fills the shelves. We are associated with the Tennessee State Library and Archives through the Falling Water River Regional Library.
The Bledsoe County Public Library has changed greatly since it was established July 7, 1952, by the Bledsoe County Quarterly Court. With only about 100 books and a $624 yearly budget, the library opened in the top floor of the board of education office. After several moves throughout the years, a new building was constructed with county, state and federal funds, as well as local donations. The library opened January 18, 1993, at its present-day location on the corner of Cumberland Ave. and Frazier St., near the county courthouse.
Directing the library throughout the years have been: Martha Ross Lee, Nelda Turner, Elizabeth Royal, Willela Douthat, Flo Swafford, Jean Aiken and Carolyne L. Knight.
Board of Trustees
The Board oversees the library’s operation and is made up of county residents who serve three-year terms.
Current board members:
Kathie Britt, Chairperson
John Hargis, Vice Chairperson
Dulcie Corvin, Treasurer
Patsy Morgan, Secretary
The board has public meetings once each quarter, on the second Monday in March, June, September and December. All meetings are open to the public.
Did you know....
...Bledsoe County was formed on November 30, 1807
...The town of Pikeville was established in 1816.
...Tennessee's first governor, John Sevier, owed 10,500 acres in the Sequatchie Valley.
...Gov. Sam Houston had a 640-acre land grant on Cumberland Mountain.