In order to be able to give the work of each of our members the attention it deserves, we need to limit the size of our group.
BWG is currently CLOSED to new members. Check back from time to time because that status might change.
When we are open to new members, we are looking for experienced writers, whether published or aspiring to publication. Unfortunately, we cannot accept beginners. For beginning writers in the Bethlehem area, we would suggest investigating one of the other writers groups in the area including the Greater Lehigh Valley Writers Group, PennWriters, or the Pocono Liars Club. There are also many national, genre-specific groups that could be helpful.
All of our members are published authors--some with many publications to their credit. Our goal is to help each other become better writers through hard work, thoughtful critiques, and mutual support.
At our meetings, we work on group projects and read excerpts of our works-in-progress for the group to critique. Our criteria and process for joining are as follows:
WE ARE INTERESTED IN WRITERS WHO ARE:
1. Compatible with group members and the group dynamic
2. Committed to becoming better writers and to helping others to do likewise
3. Ready to contribute to the group by bringing written work to meetings
4. Experienced in and capable of giving and accepting thoughtful critiques of written work
5. Committed to continuing a regular and sustained participation with the group
6. Ready to support and participate in BWG projects and activities
MEMBERSHIP IN BWG IS BY INVITATION ONLY. The membership process is as follows:
1. Writers must be at least 18 years of age and a high school graduate.
2. When we are open to new members, writers should express their interest in BWG by using the form on the "Contact Us" page.
3. If we are open to new members, we will respond with an email inviting the writer to submit a brief bio/writing resume, a statement of which BWG activities the writer would want to work on, and a 1500-2000 word writing sample for prose. Poets should submit four poems.
4. BWG will review each application. If we are interested, we will invite applicants to visit up to two meetings to get a feel for how we might suit each other.
5. After the applicant has visited two meetings, BWG will consider extending an invitation to join BWG.
6. If a writer accepts our invitation to become a member, they must pay their dues before attending another meeting. (See dues policy below).
BWG PROJECTS AND ACTIVITIES:
Bethlehem Writers Roundtable--the literary journal of the Bethlehem Writers Group, e.g. doing interviews, Betty Wryte-Goode column, or Literary Learnings, submitting work fiction or poetry for publication, editing, etc.
Anthologies--editing, layout, cover design, marketing, etc.
Contest management. (All BWG members participate in judging the contest.)
Promotion and Marketing of our contest and anthologies (including setting up book signings and creating promotional materials)
Social Media and newsletter maintenance
Website and Technology
Bethlehem Writers Workshops (craft programs led by BWG members)
Our membership year runs from March 1 through the end of the following February.
We have 3 levels of membership: BWG Digital (dues: $25/year and meets once per month online), BWG Live (dues: $30/year and meets twice per month in person or online), BWG Prime (dues: $40/year and includes both BWG Digital and BWG Live memberships)
New members must pay an addition $10 registration fee for the first year only.
Renewing members have a 30-day grace period after the due date to pay their annual dues. If annual dues remain unpaid after 30 days, their membership will expire.
Dues payments for returning members whose memberships have expired must pay the full annual dues plus a $10 re-registration fee to become reinstated as a member of BWG for the remainder of that membership year, regardless of the date of reinstatement. Former members may only return if we are open to new members and they are approved by a majority vote of the LLC.
If you have any questions about BWG membership, send us a message using the form on the Contact Us page.