Area History

Quilt made by NJDAR Chapters in 1973 for the USA Bicentennial

date and initials

Bergen-Paulus Hook Chapter, New NSDAR square in the quilt

Jersey City, New Jersey, has an amazing history dating back to 1623, when the Dutch settled the area. Part of the American Revolution was fought in this area, and both the Marquis de Lafayette and General Cornwallis had headquarters in the area during the war.

Pictured below are a few of our historic sites in and near Jersey City.


The Van Vorst Farmhouse

531 Palisades Ave

Jersey City, NJ 07306

The Van Vorst Farmhouse was built about the year 1740. It is acknowledged as the oldest home in Jersey City, and the second oldest building still standing in Hudson county.

The farmhouse consists of two stories, with a peaked roof, a facade of bluestone, and a quaint portico. English ivy and white trim serve as architectural highlights.


Old Bergen Church

1 Highland Ave

Jersey City, NJ 07306

The Old Bergen Church was founded in 1660 by early Dutch settlers in Hudson county. It is one of the oldest churches in New Jersey and remains the longest continuous congregation in the state.

At one time, the Bergen-Paulus Hook Chapter NSDAR held its meetings at the Old Bergen Church.

Apple Tree House

298 Academy St.

Jersey City, NJ 07306

The Apple Tree House, also known as the Van Wagenan House, is an historic property that is deeply rooted in local lore. During the Revolutionary War, it was used as a headquarters by the Marquis de Lafayette because the view from the property was ideal for military reconnaissance. It is said that General George Washington and the Marquis de Lafayette ate lunch under the shade of an apple tree on the property. The Apple Tree House was saved recently from demolition and is undergoing full restoration.

Paulus Hook Fort Site

Washington St. and Grand St.

Jersey City, NJ 07302

Paulus Hook Fort was the site of the Battle of Paulus Hook on August 19, 1779. Major Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee led 300 Continental soldiers in a surprise attack on the British fort at Paulus Hook. In 1903, a monument memorializing the battle was installed through the efforts of the members of the Paulus Hook Chapter NSDAR.

The Loew's Jersey Theater

54 Journal Square

Jersey City, NJ 07306

Opened on September 28, 1929, Loew's Theater was described as “the most lavish temple of entertainment in New Jersey.” Now restored to its former glory, Loew's is a not-for-profit arts center.

Hamilton-Burr Dueling Ground

Hamilton Ave.

Weehawken, NJ 07086

The Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton Dueling Ground is the site of their 1804 duel, in which Hamilton was mortally wounded. The site is identified by historical markers. The dueling ground in Weehawken was a popular location for duels during the period when this was the manner in which many men defended their honor.

The Central Railroad of New Jersey Terminal

Liberty State Park

1 Audrey Zapp Dr.

Jersey City, NJ 07305


The Central Railroad of New Jersey Terminal was the waterfront passenger terminal at the mouth of the Hudson River. For many years, it was the first stop for immigrants when they left Ellis Island. Today the terminal is part of Liberty State Park.


For more area history, visit these website:


Contact Information:

For additional information, please contact the Chapter Regent

For additional information, you may also contact the Chapter Vice Regent

For membership information, please contact the Chapter Registrar