Sun & Shade
The Sun & Shade Committee is excited to begin another school year filled with exciting Sun Safety lessons and activities:
- All Kindergartners will receive free Coolibar sun hats! These hats are made of light, sun-protective fabric to keep sun off the face and neck during recess and outdoor activities.
- Sombrero Lady/Sombrero Dude will appear unexpectedly on campus during recesses to give hat-wearing kids small prizes for showing sun-safe behavior and knowledge. You never know when the Sombrero will appear, so always wear that hat!
- Sunscreen station at the Bear-a-thon: Before running those laps, come by the Sun and Shade banner to get a dollop of sunscreen to apply.
- Spring events include the Sun Safety Fashion Show, UV bead bracelets at the Spring Festival, and Sun Safety Lessons in each classroom.
Quick Tips: be sun safe and sun smart!
- Seek Shade. The sun's rays are strongest during the hours of 10am to 4pm. Play under the shade structures, find tree shade, or bring an umbrella!
- Wear protective clothing. Wear a hat with a wide brim! Long sleeve shirts and pants too. Sunglasses that block 99-100% of UVA and UVB radiation.
- Apply sunscreen. Sun Protective Factor (SPF) 15+ that protects against UVA and UVB rays is recommended. Apply 30 minutes before going outside and do not rely only upon the sunscreen. Use with other sun safe practices.
The Sun/Shade Committee is seeking Sombrero Ladies and Gentlemen, and for volunteers to help spread the word about sun safety. If you are interested in encouraging sun-savvy attitudes and behavior please contact the committee at BandelierPTA@gmail.com.