My research is primarily on the intersection of development economics with agricultural policies. I use rigorous econometric tools with simulation methods to evaluate policy programs.
Main areas of focus include impact evaluations of development and agricultural interventions, topics in industrial organization and application of general equilibrium methods in microeconomic analyses. My secondary areas of interests are in applied econometrics and economics of education policies.
Research in Progress
- "General Equilibrium Impacts in Imperfect Agricultural Markets: Evidence from the Tanzanian Cotton Industry" (Job market paper)
- "Climate Migration and Impacts on Household Financial Activities: Evidence from the Sundarbans Region in India" with Heng Zhu and Aleksandr Michuda (UC Davis), and Iffat Chowdhury (UW Seattle)
- "Liberalization of Electric Pumps for Irrigation: Evidence from West Bengal, India" with Sandip Agarwal (IISER Bhopal)
- "Macro Shocks and Micro Woes: Short-term Effects of India's Demonetisation on the Poor" with Heng Zhu, Binoy Majumder and Sandro Steinbach. (Revise and Resubmit)
- "Heterogeneous Spillovers from SCTs: Evidence from Lesotho" with J. Edward Taylor, Mateusz Filipski, Karen Thome, Benjamin Davis, Luca Pallerano and Ousmane Niang. (Under review)
- "Long-term Impacts of Poverty Programs: A Local-economy Cost-benefit Analysis of Lesotho's Child Grants Programme" with J. Edward Taylor, Benjamin Davis, Luca Pallerano and Ousmane Niang
- "Public School Open Enrolment and Housing Capitalization" with Satheesh Aradhyula
- “Is Technology Change Good for Cotton Farmers? A Local-economy Analysis from the Tanzania Lake Zone” with Justin Kagin, J. Edward Taylor, Mateusz Filipski, Lindi Hlanze and James Foster. European Review of Agricultural Economics 45, no. 1 (2017): 27-56.
- “Economic Life in Refugee Camps” with Mohamad Alloush, J. Edward Taylor, Irvin Rojas and Ernesto Gonzalez. World Development 95 (2017): 334-347.
- “Economic impact of refugees” with J. Edward Taylor, Mateusz Filipski, Mohamad Alloush, Irvin Rojas and Ernesto Gonzalez. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 113, no. 27 (2016): 7449-7453.
Congolese refugee kids in Nyabiheke Refugee Camp, Rwanda (2015)