My research is primarily at the intersection of development economics and agricultural policies. I use rigorous econometric tools, experiments and simulation methods to evaluate policy programs. Here is my research statement.
I have worked on a wide range of projects, both in developed and developing country-settings. Main areas of focus include impact evaluations of development and agricultural interventions, topics in industrial organization, applied microeconomics and application of general equilibrium methods in economic analyses.
Congolese refugee kids in Nyabiheke Refugee Camp, Rwanda (2015)
- “Short-term Effects of India's Demonetization on the Rural Poor” with H. Zhu, B. Majumder and S. Steinbach. Economic Letters, Vol. 170 (2018): 117-121.
- “Is Technology Change Good for Cotton Farmers? A Local-economy Analysis from the Tanzania Lake Zone” with J. Kagin, J. E. Taylor, M. Filipski, L. Hlanze and J. Foster. European Review of Agricultural Economics 45, no. 1 (2017): 27-56.
- “Economic Life in Refugee Camps” with M. Alloush, J. E. Taylor, R.I. Rojas and E. Gonzalez. World Development, 95 (2017): 334-347.
- “Economic impact of refugees” with J. E. Taylor, M. Filipski, M. Alloush, R. I. Rojas and E. Gonzalez. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 113, no. 27 (2016): 7449-7453.
- “General Equilibrium Impacts in Imperfect Agricultural Markets: Evidence from the Tanzanian Cotton Industry” Cardon Research Papers in Agricultural and Resource Economics, University of Arizona, no. 201901 (2019).
- “Economic Impacts of Giving Land to Refugees” with H. Zhu, J. E. Taylor, M. Filipski, J. Valli and E. Gonzalez. (R&R, American Journal of Agricultural Economics)
- “Unequal Cash Transfer Spillovers” with J. E. Taylor, M. Filipski, K. Thome, B. Davis, L. Pallerano and O. Niang. (Preparing for submission)
- “Long-term Impacts of Poverty Programs: A Local-economy Cost-benefit Analysis of Lesotho's Child Grants Programme” with J. E. Taylor, B. Davis, L. Pallerano and O. Niang (Preparing for submission)
Work in Progress
- "Economic Burden of India's COVID-19 lockdown on the Poor." with M. Doan, H.Zhu, A. Michuda (UC Davis), and B. Majumder (The Researcher)
- "Assessing the Economic Impacts of Protected Areas on Regional Economics: Evidence from Brazil, Fiji, Nepal and Zambia." with J.E. Taylor, H. Zhu, E. Whitney (UC Davis), and M. Filipski (U Georgia)
- "Potential Local Economy Impacts of Kenya’s Home-grown School Meals Programme." with J. E. Taylor and M. Doan (UC Davis) and E. Gonzalez-Estrada (WFP)
- “Climate Migration and Impacts on Household Financial Activities: Evidence from the Sundarbans Region in India.” with M. Doan, H. Zhu, A. Michuda (UC Davis), and I. Chowdhury (UW Seattle)
- “Liberalization of Electric Pumps for Irrigation: Evidence from West Bengal, India.” with S. Agarwal (IISER Bhopal, India)
- "Public School Open Enrollment and Housing Capitalization." with S. Aradhyula (U Arizona)