My research is primarily on the intersection of development economics with agricultural policies. I use rigorous econometric tools with simulation methods to evaluate policy programs.
Main areas of focus include impact evaluations of development and agricultural interventions, topics in industrial organization and application of general equilibrium methods in microeconomic analyses. My secondary areas of interests are in applied econometrics and economics of education policies.
Job Market Paper
“General Equilibrium Impacts in Imperfect Agricultural Markets: Evidence from the Tanzanian Cotton Industry” (last updated: December, 2018)
- “Short-term Effects of India's Demonetization on the Rural Poor” with Heng Zhu, Binoy Majumder and Sandro Steinbach. Economic Letters, Vol. 170 (2018): 117-121.
- “Is Technology Change Good for Cotton Farmers? A Local-economy Analysis from the Tanzania Lake Zone” with Justin Kagin, J. Edward Taylor, Mateusz Filipski, Lindi Hlanze and James Foster. European Review of Agricultural Economics 45, no. 1 (2017): 27-56.
- “Economic Life in Refugee Camps” with Mohamad Alloush, J. Edward Taylor, Irvin Rojas and Ernesto Gonzalez. World Development, 95 (2017): 334-347.
- “Economic impact of refugees” with J. Edward Taylor, Mateusz Filipski, Mohamad Alloush, Irvin Rojas and Ernesto Gonzalez. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 113, no. 27 (2016): 7449-7453.
- “Economic Impacts of Giving Land to Refugees” with Heng Zhu, J. Edward Taylor, Mateusz Filipski, Jaakko Valli and Ernesto Gonzalez. (R&R, American Journal of Agricultural Economics)
- “Unequal Cash Transfer Spillovers” with J. Edward Taylor, Mateusz Filipski, Karen Thome, Benjamin Davis, Luca Pallerano and Ousmane Niang. (Under review)
- “Long-term Impacts of Poverty Programs: A Local-economy Cost-benefit Analysis of Lesotho's Child Grants Programme” with J. Edward Taylor, Benjamin Davis, Luca Pallerano and Ousmane Niang (Preparing for submission)
Work in Progress
- “Climate Migration and Impacts on Household Financial Activities: Evidence from the Sundarbans Region in India” with Heng Zhu and Aleksandr Michuda (UC Davis), and Iffat Chowdhury (UW Seattle)
- “Liberalization of Electric Pumps for Irrigation: Evidence from West Bengal, India” with Sandip Agarwal (IISER Bhopal)
- “Local-economy Impacts of Kenya’s Home Grown School Feeding Program” with J. Edward Taylor, Edward Whitney, Miki Doan and Heng Zhu (UC Davis)
Congolese refugee kids in Nyabiheke Refugee Camp, Rwanda (2015)