Ankur Gupta is an Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Jodhpur. He received his Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from IIT Kanpur, India, and served as faculty at IIT Bhubaneswar afterwards for three years before joining IIT Jodhpur in 2019.
He recently received the "Institute of Smart Structures and Systems (ISSS) Young Scientist Award 2022" and "Indian National Young Academy of Sciences (INYAS) membership 2023" in "Engineering Sciences" category by INYAS, which is a recognized scientific body under the Indian National Science Academy (INSA). He has been selected for a "Scientific High Level Visiting Fellowship (SSHN)" to visit France 2023 by French embassy of India. He was selected as a “BRICS Young Scientist” by the Department of Science and Technology, India, to participate in the Second BRICS Young Scientist Conclave held at Zhejiang University, China, in 2017. He is also a recipient of the ISEES Young Scientist Award (2017), IEI Young Engineer Award (2019–20) from the Institution of Engineers (India) in the production division, and the SERB International Research Experience (SIRE) Fellowship Award (2022) for a research visit at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany. His research interest is to explore innovative and inexpensive fabrication methods for microsystems for a wide range of applications. Working in the interdisciplinary area, he has cultivated some basic understanding about sensor fabrication, small-scale characterization techniques, and, most importantly, the will to learn from other disciplines.
He has supervised a PhD student and 14 M. Tech. projects, and is currently supervising eight PhD students and a few M. Tech. students. He has also developed the “Microtechnology Lab” in the ME department at IIT Jodhpur. In his previous teaching assignments at IIT, he has taught "Advanced Manufacturing Processes", "MEMS & Microsystems Technology", "Applied Ergonomics", "Sensing and Actuation" and other diversified courses like "Engineering Visualization", "Engineering Design" "Industrial Engineering", "Machining Science & Metrology," and "Precision & Micromanufacturing" to B. Tech., M. Tech. and PhD students of Mechanical Engineering.
Microsystems Fabrication | Advanced/Conventional Manufacturing | Nanotechnology
Manufacturing courses | MEMS | Ergonomics
AWARDS AND HONOR
Selected for "Scientific High Level Visiting Fellowship (SSHN)" 2023.
2. Received "ISSS Young Scientist Award 2022"
ISSS (Institute of Smart Structures and Systems) is a professional society located in IISc Bangalore, that helps to keep pace with the advances being made in Micro and Smart Systems Technologies in India. Link
3. Selected for the "Indian National Young Academy of Sciences (INYAS) membership 2023" in "Engineering Sciences" category. Link
INYAS is a recognized scientist academy under Indian National Science Academy - INSA with a vision to promote Science education and networking.
4. Selected for the "SERB International Research Experience Award for the year 2022-2023" supported by the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), a statutory body of the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India.
5. Received "IEI Young Engineers Award-2019". (IEI : Institution of Engineers India)
6. Received "ISEES Young Scientist Award-2017".
3. Organized GIAN short term course on "BioMEMS & Micro/nanosystems" with Prof. R. Saraf, University of Nabraska, Linkoln, USA in 11-16 May 2019.
4. Selected from INDIA and attended Canada- DST sponsored “Indo-Canada R & D collaboration program” for participating and presenting work at National Institute of Nanotechnology (NINT), University of Alberta, CANADA in the area of Nanofabrication and Characterization, May 2013.
5. Won first prize in poster competition organized by Indian Institute of Metals (IIM) chapter in IIT Kanpur, 2013.
6. Won first prize in “Artistic Micrographic Contest” jointly organized by Materials Advantage and Institute of Metals in IIT Kanpur, March, 2014 .
7. Awarded DST (Department of Science and Technology) travel grant for Young Scientist/ Research scholar for presenting paper in Material Research Society, San Francisco, USA.
8. Research cash award granted (two times) by IIT Kanpur for publishing work in reputed Journal in 2014 and 2015.