Graduate Profile of Media Studies
A Bachelor of Arts graduate in Media Studies of the University of Jaffna should be
Academic Excellent :
- Have a clear understanding of the principles of communication.
- Articulate their knowledge with a critical perspective in media and, law and ethics.
- Manage and use writing and reporting techniques in print media and technical production in television and radio programmes
- Apply critical thinking skills and problem-solving techniques for data gathering, processing, and analysis in media research.
- Apply rational thinking that enhances the ability to form logical conclusions and make informed decisions across all disciplines.
Employable and able to contribute to regional and national development:
- Demonstrate the organizational skills and discipline necessary for effective work habits, whether working individually or in groups in fieldwork particularly in the professional media field.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the issues relevant to popular culture, gender in media, alternative media and intercultural communication and conflict sensitive journalism.
- Consider the influences current events have on the global scene and identify avenues for responding to such influences via media.
- Demonstrate the skills necessary to locate and evaluate information in order to pursue career options in the professional media field.
- Be equipped to continue education consistent with that graduate’s gifts and abilities.
- Receive and interpret information, express ideas and share knowledge with diverse audiences in a range of media and formats.
- Establish a rapport and build collaborative relationships with individuals, groups and, media outlets.
Sensitive global citizens:
- Lifelong learners, to show resilience, involve proactively and an ability to make principled decisions.
- Being socially responsible, with civic consciousness.
- Ability to engage effectively in global and multicultural environments
- Committed to improving the environment.
- Having high regard for human rights, equity, and ethics.