On this page you will find a selection of essential resources for Global Health education, including guides, articles, curricula, and trainee resources.
Essential Articles in GH Education
In order to provide a streamlined bibliography, each spring the GHLC Steering Committee votes on articles that are essential reads for global health educators. The following eight articles received the highest scores as essential reading for 2018. To submit articles for consideration for next year’s vote, email email@example.com.
Also, here is a list of journals which publish global health education work.
- Landscape Analysis of Global Health Tracks in US Pediatric Residencies
- Development of a Competency-Based Curriculum in Global Child Health
- Pediatric Global Health Education: Past, Present, Future
- Global Health: Preparation for Working in Resource-Limited Settings
- Global Health Education in US Pediatric Residency Programs
- Supporting Global Health at the Pediatric Department Level: Why and How
- Partnerships for Global Child Health
- Perceptions and Expectations of Host Country Preceptors of Short-Term Learners at Four Clinical Sites in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Miles Away Milestones - A Framework for Assessment of Pediatric Residents During Global Health Rotations
Online Global Health Curricula
- SUGAR: Free multidisciplinary, pilot-tested, pre-departure curricular resources including:
- SUGAR (Simulation Use for Global Away Rotations): A comprehensive global health simulation curricula to help prepare learners for the emotional obstacles of working in limited-resource settings
- PEARLS (Procedural Education for Adaptation to Resource Limited Settings): A web video series demonstrating low cost modifications to medical procedures for use in resource-limited settings
- S-PACK (SUGAR’s Pre-Departure Activities Curricular Kit): A comprehensive pre-departure global health curriculum with facilitator training to lead modules on topics including health and safety, ethics, wellness in global health, and culture shock.
- Canadian Paediatric Society Global Child Health Curriculum: Four downloadable courses with training for an institutional site lead to facilitate
- BU edX Global Health MOOCs—The Practitioner’s Guide to Global Health: Multidisciplinary online preparation courses that are interactive, case-based, evaluative, enable tracking for program directors, and are free of charge.
Resources for Global Health Trainees
- Oxford Handbook of Tropical Medicine. Eddleston M, Davidson R, Brent A, Wilkinson R. 3rd Ed. 2008.
- Textbook of Global Child Health. (D. Kamat, P. Fischer.): A comprehensive reference that combines travel medicine, practicing medicine in other countries, and reviews diseases endemic in the tropics and resource-limited areas.
- Preparing for International health Experiences: A Practical Guide. Edited by Akshaya Neil Arya
- Procedural Education for Adaptation to Resource Limited Settings (PEARLS): demonstration videos of procedural technique adaptations for use in resource-limited settings
Videos developed to train front-line health workers in resource-limited settings:
- Preparation for Global Health Elective Packet
- Pocket Book of Hospital Care for Children: Guidelines for the Management of Common Illnesses with Limited Resources.
- WHO Model Formulary for Children. World Health Organization. 2010
- Emergency Triage Assessment and Treatment: A manual for participants. World Health Organization. 2005.
- Integrated Management of Childhood Illness (IMCI) Chart Booklet. World Health Organization. 2008.
Comprehensive Guide for Global Health Education in Pediatrics
In the Summer of 2018, the American Board of Pediatrics Global Health Task Force will be publishing a comprehensive, practical resource for pediatric program directors to incorporate global health education into their respective training programs. The links below will take you to directly to the chapters of the guide when it becomes available.
- Tiered Approach to Global Health Education
- Global Health Competencies and Ready to Implement Curricula
- Local Global Health
- Global Health Electives Logistics and Planning
- Evaluating and Accrediting Global Health Programs
- Global Health Fellowships
- Global Health Careers
- Partnerships and Bi-Directional Exchanges
- Readiness Assessment for Global Health Training
- Appendices and Forms
Strategies for earning american board of pediatrics maintenance of certification (MOC) Part 4 credit for global health education quality improvement
At the Spring 2018 APPD Meeting, several members of the GHLC Steering Committee led a workshop on how to approach global health education initiatives with a quality improvement lens, and then apply for this work to earn MOC Part 4 Credit. The links below include the slides from this session, blank template forms, and completed forms using the case example.