Grassian Research Group
The Grassian group is involved in several research areas including surface chemistry of environmental interfaces, heterogeneous atmospheric chemistry, climate impact of atmospheric aerosols, and environmental and health aspects of nanoscience and nanotechnology.
WELCOME TO THE GRASSIAN GROUP WEBSITE!
This website describes the ongoing research projects in the Grassian laboratory as well as some of the state-of-the-art techniques that we use in our research. In general, we are interested in fundamental molecular-based laboratory studies that provide a better molecular understanding of the surface chemistry of complex environmental interfaces. Several ongoing projects include understanding the molecular level details of the heterogeneous chemistry of trace gases with particulate matter such as mineral dust in the atmosphere, dissolution and mobilization of Fe-containing particles, optical properties of atmospheric aerosol and applications and implications of nanoscience and nanotechnology in environmental processes. The Grassian group applies the techniques and methods of surface science, aerosol science, microscopy and spectroscopy to study these problems. As you peruse this website, if you have any questions about our research please contact any of the group members.
- June 13 – We are so proud of the Grassian group seniors – Duyen, Heidi, Masiel and Tongshan. Congratulations to all of you on your graduation from UC San Diego. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors!
- May 21 - Congratulations to Gordon for winning a research poster award at the 14th Annual Undergraduate Research Symposium! Great job showing off our science!!
- May 11 - Congratulations to Sarah for being selected as recipients of the Harold C. Urey award for excellence in chemistry. Nicely done!!
- May 11 - Congratulations to Duyen, Heidi, and Tongshan for being selected as recipients of the 2020 Mayer Award for outstanding achievement in undergraduate research!!
- April 23 - Congratulations to Prof Vicki Grassian on her election to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences!!
- March 31 - Congratulations to Deborah Kim for being an Honorable Mention for the NSF-GRFP award!! Way to go!!!
Check it out!
Professor Vicki Grassian gave an amazing TEDx talk on the air we breath. Curious? Then watch the full video below!
- Mineral dust and its impact on global process including climate and ocean biogeochemical cycles – the role of chemistry
- FTIR extinction spectroscopy of mineral dust aerosol and brown carbon– Mie calculation versus experimental spectra and implications for remote sensing data
- Surface science of environmental interfaces (oxides and carbonates)
- Heterogeneous atmospheric chemistry of metal-containing anthropogenic dusts – fly ash to engineered nanomaterials
- Sea spray aerosol
- Environmental remediation, sesquestration and decontamination with nanomaterials (e.g. carbon dioxide storage and conversion)
- Nanoparticle Fe as a reactive constituent in air, water and soil
- Impact of manufactured nanomaterials (metals and metal oxides) on the environment
- Impact of manufactured nanomaterials (metals and metal oxides) on human health (nanotoxicity)
- HONO in Indoor Air Environments: Role of Surfaces and Light
- Deposition of Organic Films and Particles on Indoor Air Surfaces
- N. Karimova, M. Luo, V. H. Grassian, R. B. Gerber. "Absorption Spectra of Benzoic Acid in Water at Different pH and in the Presence of Salts: Insights from the Integration of Experimental Data and Theoretical Cluster Models". Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2020 DOI: 10.1039/C9CP06728K
- Y Li, M Shrestha, M. Luo, I. Sit, M. Song, V. H. Grassian, W. Xiong. "Salting Up of Proteins at the Air/Water Interface". Langmuir 2019 DOI: 10.1021/acs.langmuir.9b01901
- L. Huang, E. Coddens, V. H. Grassian. "Formation of Organosulfur Compounds from Aqueous Phase Reactions of S(IV) with Methacrolein and Methyl Vinyl Ketone in the Presence of Transition Metal Ions". ACS Earth and Space Chemistry 2019 DOI: 10.1021/acsearthspacechem.9b00173
- J. V. Trueblood, X. Wang, V. Or, M. R. Alves, M. V. Santander, K. A. Prather, V. H. Grassian. "The Old and the New: Aging of Sea Spray Aerosols and Formation of Secondary Marine Aerosol Through OH Oxidation Reactions". ACS Earth and Space Chemistry 2019 DOI: 10.1021/acsearthspacechem.9b00087
- M. R. Alves, Y. Fang, K. J. Wall, V. Vaida, V. H. Grassian. "Chemistry and Photochemistry of Pyruvic Acid Adsorbed on Oxide Surfaces". Journal of Physical Chemistry A 2019 DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpca.9b06563
- E. M. Coddens, K. J. Angle, V. H. Grassian. "Titration of Aerosol pH Through Droplet Coalescence" Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters 2019. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpclett.9b00757
- I.B. Ustunol, N.I. Gonzalez-Pech, V.H. Grassian. "pH-Dependent Adsorption of α-Amino Acids, Lysine, Glutamic Acid, Serine and Glycine, on TiO2 Nanoparticle Surfaces" Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2019. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcis.2019.06.086
- J. Wang, S Hsu, N. Gonzalez-Pech, A. Jhunjhunwala, F. Chen, A. Hariri, V. H. Grassian, A. Tao, J. V. Jokerst. "Copper Sulfide Nanodisks and Nanoprisms for Photoacoustic Ovarian Tumor Imaging" Particle and Particle Systems Characterization 2019 DOI: 10.1002/ppsc.201900171
- V. H. Grassian. "Physical Chemistry of Environmental Interfaces: Aerosols, Nanomaterials & Indoor Surfaces". The Chemist 2019 91 (2) ISSN: 1945-0702