1:1 Device Handbook
A harcopy of the handbook will be issued at the time the device is received.
Beginning with school year 18-19, the TWIN VALLEY SCHOOL DISTRICT will issue students in grades 8-11 a Chromebook to be used in accordance with all School District policies pertaining to Acceptable Use (SB 815) and Electronic Devices (SB 237, et al.).
The Chromebook is the property of TWIN VALLEY SCHOOL DISTRICT and is therefore covered under all school district policies regarding Acceptable Use and Electronic Devices.
Both students and parents will sign and return the policy and guidelines acknowledgement at time of pickup. This handbook contains all the information regarding care, support, safety and damages of the Chromebook.
Support for the device can be acquired by…
- Bringing the device to the HS Library or MS Library to the support desk area.
- The support desk personnel will record the damages and if necessary, take the device to the Technology Department for additional repairs.
- The support desk personnel will issue you a loaner Chromebook.
- You will be contacted via Google email when the repairs are completed and your Chromebook is ready to be picked up.
*NOTE - Loaner Chromebooks must be returned by the end of the day to the Library help desk.
FEES may be charged due to the severity of the repairs. Families have the option of paying for a yearly $20 (non-refundable) insurance policy per device to cover all repairs and/or replacement at the time the device is issued. Approximate replacement cost for the device is $400. Fees will not be accepted after the device has been issued. Note—If you do not choose this optional insurance, you may be responsible for the full replacement cost should the device be stolen.
- Take care of your device (see “Caring For Your Chromebook”).
- Your Chromebook includes a case and a charger. You are responsible for maintaining the condition of not only the Chromebook, but all accessories.
- Protect your Chromebook. Your Chromebook includes a ruggedized case to help you protect the device, but it is your responsibility to keep the device from dropping, damage or theft. Students will be expected to leave this case attached to the device at all times.
- The Chromebook is a learning tool and should be with you each day during school.
- Begin each day with a fully charged Chromebook. You will have opportunities throughout the day to charge your device at charging stations located throughout the building. Having the Chromebook with you and charged is part of being prepared for class.
- Do not remove any district tags or stickers from the device.
- Do not lend your Chromebook to another student, or use another student’s Chromebook.
- Repeatedly forgetting your Chromebook or bringing it to school without being fully charged will result in disciplinary action.
CARING FOR YOUR CHROMEBOOK
- Do not drop or throw the device.
- Do not allow the device to be stolen.
- Do not leave the device in a room or car when unattended.
- Avoid excessive temperature changes. Do not leave your device in a hot car or unheated space.
- Do not use your device in wet environments such as kitchens or bathrooms.
- Chromebooks should never be left in an unsupervised area. Unsupervised Chromebooks will be confiscated by staff. Disciplinary action may be taken for leaving your Chromebook in an unsupervised location.
- Carry your device in a secure manner. We recommend carrying the device in a school bag and not in the open. Bags designed to carry laptops are preferable.
- Stickers or removable decorations are permitted on the top cover of the device. *Note - should we need to replace the device there is no guarantee that the stickers or decorations will be retained.
- Do not decorate or write on the device with permanent marker, paint or other substances that are not removable or may damage the Chromebook.
- Do not use cleaners of any type to clean the device. A dry rag, microfiber cloth or soft cloth may be used to dust the keyboard or remove smudges from the screen. You may also bring your device to the building helpdesk to be cleaned.
- Do not have food or drink near the device.
- The charging cord must be carried with the device and may be used at he various charging stations throughout the building.
- Do not tightly wrap the charging cord as that will weaken the cable and damage the charging block.
- Do not rest or leave your device on soft surfaces such as beds, couches or carpeted floors.
- Do not attempt to repair your device. Each device is covered by a warranty - bring all damaged devices to the building helpdesk (see “Support”).
- If you suspect that your device has been stolen, report this immediately to the helpdesk personnel in the library or the main office of your building.
SAFETY, SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Filtering of web content will occur while logged into the device 24x7 on and off school property. This is required by Federal Law.
- Monitoring of user activity will occur if ALL conditions listed below are met:
- The student logs on to the device using the district Google account (tvsd.info)
- The student is on district property.
- It is during the school day between 7AM-3:30PM.
- The webcam is not accessible by district administration, faculty or staff at anytime, even if the device is suspected of being lost or stolen.
- Students may only login to their assigned device and not use/access another student’s device.
- Students must keep their passwords confidential.
- Students may UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES use the webcam or microphone of the device to video or record a teacher, staff or another student without their permission.
- There is no expectation of privacy when using district-issued technology or other technology resources. TWIN VALLEY SCHOOL DISTRICT may, without prior notice, access, monitor and record your Chromebook use and network use during the school day.
- Students’ personal devices are not the property of the district and are therefore, not monitored or filtered by the district.
DAMAGES & INSURANCE
- The optional insurance fee is $20.00 (non-refundable) a year per device. The optional insurance can only be purchased at the time the device is issued. Checks or money orders should be made to “Twin Valley School District.”
- Insurance is for accidental loss or damage.
- Insurance covers basic wear and tear, and minor damages to the device.
- All loss or damages will be investigated and assessed for cause and severity. Administration will determine if the loss or damage is intentional or the result of gross negligence. Damages will be assessed and communicated to the parent/guardian.
- Insurance does not cover the damage or theft of another student’s device.
- Gross negligence and intentional damage are not covered under this insurance policy. The full cost of replacing the device will be charged to the family.
DEVICE PICKUP & DROP-OFF
- The district maintains ownership of the Chromebook and it must be returned to the district upon request.
- For students who are picking up their device for the first time, we will distribute in August (look for announcements about specific dates and times).
- Students and parents are required to attend when picking up the Chromebook and will attend a 10 minute orientation about care for the device and procedures. Both students and parents will be responsible for signing the acceptable use acknowledgement.
- Insurance fees will be collected at the time of pickup.