• About the Library •
Ms. Federico (Ms. Fed)
Ms. Federico, Teacher Librarian, National Board Certified Teacher Ms. Federico (AKA Ms. Fed) has been teaching at Reed since 1993. She taught English for 22 years before stepping into the library in 2015. All throughout these years, her passion for reading was evident. Students called her classroom "the second library." Her favorite thing about teaching was infecting her students with her passion for reading and writing.
BA in English (1991), Single Subject Credential English (1993), MA in Secondary Education (1999), National Board Certification in Secondary ELA (2007 & 2017), Library Services Credential (2017)
History and Description
Originally called North Hollywood Junior High, construction started in 1938 with WPA funds during WWII. When the school opened in 1939 it was hailed as one of the most modern facilities of its kind in the country. Today, Walter Reed stands as a beautiful neoclassic structure. The library is a large room with a 30 ft barrel vaulted ceiling. Shelving and wood accents are in dark oak. Five large arched windows grace the eastern wall. The room has a classic, traditional feel to it.
The classic library atmosphere has drawn the attention of movie studios. The library has been used in the movie Primary Colors, an episode of the Amazon Prime series Just Add Magic, and an episode of Grey's Anatomy.
Our mission is to provide a collection and service that meets the academic and recreational reading needs of our students, the technology that will give them access to the information sources, media, and productivity tools that supports their research and lessons, and an environment that is beautiful, safe and conducive to reading and research.
Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday, except Tuesday
8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Tuesday 8:000 am to 1:45 pm, Staff Development Day
We are open at nutrition every day and at lunch Monday through Thursday
All students must have a library pass during class periods. If students wish to use the Internet or productivity computers during class periods, they must also have a valid ID with an Internet Access sticker attached.
Circulation & Fees
You may check out a maximum of 3 materials
Books may be checked out for 2 weeks and renewed once, unless there is a hold.
- Current magazines are for use in the library and are not circulated.
- Back issues of magazines may be checked out for one week.
- Reference materials with a blue call number label are for library use and may not be checked
- Reference materials with a green call number label may be checked out overnight and must be returned the next day. These are located on the wall to the right of the circulation desk.
- Overdue books are charged at 10¢ per day up to to $5.00. Fines can be negotiated
- Lost magazines are charged at $2 plus the cover price.
- Damaged barcodes, spine labels or pockets - $2
- Lost I.D. card - $5
- The library currently holds about 17,000 volumes
- Subscriptions to 5 periodicals
- Playaway Audio Books
- Extensive Manga collection
- Access to the District Databases
- Access to NoodleTools
The library has 12 desktop computers and 35 Chromebooks for visiting classes all on a wireless network. Students have access to both b/w and color printers. We can copy and scan items for students, but this service is limited during busy periods.