(last updated 06/03/2014)Welcome to VISIMPSCOT (Visual Impairment Scotland) I am, based in Perth in Scotland and recently returned from Ethiopia where I was doing some work for the Addis Ababa HIV & Aids Prevention Committee and the Ethiopian Midwives Association (training and mentoring their IT support teams). I can provide a range of services in both archaeology and computing where I specalise in helping the 'not for profit sector' and people with visual impairments or other disabilities. If you want more information on a topic choose a link in the list of pages on the right, or at the bottom of this page. Do not forget to check out the download pages in the training and visual impairment sections.
Associate member of the British Assistive Technology Association
Founder member of the Accessible Technology Coalition
Moderator of the Techsoup Public Computing, ICT4D, and Tech4Good community forum with
Techsoup, based in California are one of the best sources of tech advice for not for profit / third sector organisations. Through a partnership with the Charity Technology Trust their software donation scheme has extended to the UK. If you prefer watching and listening to reading check out the archive of recorded webinar sessions.
My linkedin.com page is at http://www.linkedin.com/in/petercheer
News / Current Projects..
Go to the Publication Services page to read about our new publishing venture Point Size Press and download a copy of our first title The Temporary Autonomous Zone by Hakim Bey
- Microsoft is no longer selling the popular Small Business Server, which has annoyed a lot of people. If you need an alternative to SBS look at SME Server or Zyental these Linux servers are designed with small scale set ups in mind, at Visimpscot we have experience of setting up and using both of them, look at the Small Computer Networks section..
- ProjectLibre is the open source alternative to MS Project that is getting thousands of downloads world wide, here at Visimpscot we have a 'ProjectLibre Getting Started', a short tutorial for absolute beginners. Get it from the training downloads section.
- We have an English translation of the French help files for the SCENARIDiscovery content management program and the user guides for Scenari Opale and Scenari Optim, see the details in the Education section.
- Free voices for English students! I am not sure about the rest of the UK... JISC has commissioned two computer voices that are available free to all staff and learners over 16 in every publicly-funded learning provider in England should be eligible, this includes:
Adult & Community Learning Providers
Further Education Colleges
Higher Education Institutions
Offender Learning Providers
Sixth Form Colleges
UK Online Centres
Work-based Learning Providers
Visit www.jisctechdis.ac.uk/techdis/technologymatters/voices for details and info on how to register, download and install. .
- Visimpscot has signed The Open Education Statement of Commitment Take a look and think about signing if you support open resources, creative commons licenses too.
- DOWNLOADSI There are two download pages. On the Visual Impairment section there is a guide to working for visually impaired adults that I have updated. There is also an introduction to some of the JISC Access Apps for visually impaired users a landscape format lists of the keyboard commands for the NVDA screen reader and a SCORM 1.2 elearning course on working for visually impaired adults that you can import into your own VLE.On the Training section there is a Java Script quiz maker and a modified set of style sheets for Exe-learning that include support for the Power Geez Amharic font. Go to the Small Computer Networks section for a Zentyal 3 feature list and an 'Introduction to Networking With Zentyal 3'.
- As we work with assistive technology and appreciate good science fiction I enjoyed 'Wake' by Robert J. Sawyer (the UK edition ISBN is 978 0 575 09408 6) which combines the two. It is an excellent read, you might enjoy it as well.
You can contact us by
Visimpscot is now listed in
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Based on a work at sites.google.com/site/visimpscot/