Title of Installation:
Elks Lodge No. 114 Tiled Fireplace Surrounds
"The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks (BPOE; also often known as the Elks Lodge or simply The Elks) is an American fraternal order and social club founded in 1868. It is one of the leading fraternal orders in the U.S., claiming nearly one million members. The Elks had modest beginnings in 1868 as a social club (then called the "Jolly Corks") established as a private club to elude New York City laws governing the opening hours of public taverns. After the death of a member left his wife and children without income, the club took up additional service roles, rituals and a new name. Desiring to adopt "a readily identifiable creature of stature, indigenous to America," fifteen members voted 8-7 in favor of the elk... ."1
Zanesville's Elks Lodge No. 114 was built in 1912-1913 and was designed by a local architect, Harry C. Meyer. The building is an eclectic style featuring an arcade broken by brick pilasters with terra cotta inserts bearing the initials "B.P.O.E.". A large stained glass window in the North wall depicts an elk. The building is listed on the Ohio Historic Inventory.2
Materials Used/Technical Information (size, manufacturer, etc.):
The three fireplaces were created by the American Encaustic Tiling Company of Zanesville, OH.
Does Installation Still Exist?
If not, Why not?
According to the National Elks organization, Lodge 114 turned in its charter in February 2011. Mike Sims gained entry to the Lodge on the day the property and contents, including the fireplace surrounds, were to be auctioned. Mr. Sims obtained permission to photograph the tiles, and he heard that the large faience fireplace was sold. He also heard that the central panel of that fireplace above "Cervus Alces" was removed from the surround. This has not been substantiated, however. At this time the disposition of the tiles is unknown, but the worst is feared.
Location of Installation:
22 S. 4th Street
Additional Information, Websites, Citations:
2"Discover Downtown Zanesville: A walking map for uncovering downtown architecture and history" (http://www.zmchamber.com/Downtown_Development/MAp%20a.pdf)
For more information about the Elks organization, http://www.elks.org/.
Photo above from http://web-ster.net/ohioelks/114/, all photos below taken by Mike Sims.
Submitted by and Year
The central panel of the fireplace. "Cervus Alces" translates loosely as "Elks", and the men pictured above on the tiles are possibly Elk members/Lodge founders from Zanesville.