The following are links
to selected 'open access' web sites, resources, publications, and more: Videos
- Bentham Open Access - Over 230 peer-reviewed open access journals covering all major disciplines of
science, technology, and more.
- CIA World Fact Book
- Providing information on the history, people, government, economy,
geography, military, communications, transportation of countries around
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) - A directory of a wide range of freely available, online Open Access Journals covering the arts and sciences.
- De Gruyter Open - One of the world’s leading Open Access platforms, hosting full texts of nearly 400 scholarly journals.
- Encyclopedia of Life - Providing free and 'open access' to knowledge about life on Earth.
- Google Books - Search and preview millions of books from libraries and publishers worldwide using Google Book.
- Government Printing Office - Disseminates official information
from all three branches of the U.S. federal government.
- Library of Congress - Recognized as the national library of the U.S. Its
collections comprise the world's most comprehensive record of American history, human
creativity, and knowledge.
- National Archives - Safeguarding, preserving, and providing access to the major documents and records of U.S. Government.
- OER Commons Textbooks - Information about open textbooks offered through Open Education Commons (OER).
- Open Journal Systems - A journal management and publishing system developed as part of the Public Knowledge Project.
- O'Reilly Open Books - Publishers of quite a few Open Books--books with various forms of "open" copyright--over the years.
- Project Gutenburg - Offering over 33,000 free eBooks that can be downloaded.
- South Carolina Encyclopedia - Online digital version of the SC Encyclopedia, a one-stop resource for schools, the general public, and academic researchers.
- Wikipedia - A free web-based encyclopedia that anyone can access, edit, or use.
Open Access Organizations
- Connexions - A virtual environment for collaboratively
developing, freely sharing, and rapidly publishing
scholarly content on the Web.
- Creative Commons - Helping people to share knowledge, research, and educational materials with others around the world.
- EIFL Open Access - A global network of national library consortia advocating open access to knowledge for education & research purposes.
- Open Content Alliance - A collaborative effort of public & private sector organizations to build a
permanent archive of multilingual digitized text and multimedia
- Scholarly Publishing & Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC) - Supporting new communication models that expand the dissemination of
scholarly research and reduce financial pressures on libraries.
If you would like to
suggest new material or links to be added to this web site, please email