In Eunpyeong Hanok Village, Seoul.
Website: yooso.cool (I bought this domain.)
My name is Semin Yoo (유세민, 劉世玟) and I am a mathematician working in the School of Computational Sciences at Korea Institute for Advanced Study, mentor: Jeong Han Kim). I obtained my Ph.D. degree at the University of Rochester under the guidance of Jonathan Pakianathan and my Master's degree at Ewha Womans University* under the guidance of Sangjib Kim. I received my BS degree in mathematics and physics from Ewha Womans University. Some beautiful pictures of the above three places I've taken can be found here.
Here is my CV. (updated in Oct. 31, 2023)
*: adding "s" is not a typo.
I like to study combinatorics interlacing other research areas such as algebra, analysis, geometry, and topology. For example, I like to (i) find a phenomenon in combinatorics and find its similarities in various areas, (ii) find a discrete version of results in other research areas, and (iii) use combinatorics to solve problems in other research areas.
Many of my research projects are related to combinatorics in finite fields so far. They encompass a range of combinatorial problems that employ both algebraic and analytic techniques. Here are the areas and keywords I have been (will be) involved in so far.
(1) Combinatorics / Number Theory / Discrete Geometry related to Finite Fields : An analogue of q-binomial coefficients from orthogonal groups / Diophantine tuples / incidence problems
(2) Combinatorics related to Representation Theory (or the converse) : Cluster algebras, representation theory of classical groups and 0-Hecke algebras
(3) Combinatorics related to Topology (or the converse) : Orientable triangulable manifolds from quasigroups
For more details, see Publications.
Some fun facts about my birthday
- Some quotes I like for research: push the boundaries of human knowledge, carry forward the exploration of the universe, Life is good.
- Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell. And when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. -Ernest Hemingway