Rosemont is a village in southern Frederick County, one mile southeast of Route 340 and one mile north of the Potomac River. It is a quiet residential community. Views of rolling farmland and mountains contoured by Harper’s Ferry Gap in West Virginia add to the tranquility of the town.
Several of the homes are of architectural interest. The Meyer Kaplon steel house was one of the avant-garde models displayed in the U. S. Steel exhibit at the 1933 Chicago World’s Fair. Two styles of early 20th-century Sears Roebuck homes are represented—one by the Dr. J. G. F. Smith house on Petersville Road and the other by the James Rau house on Rosemont Drive.
A tax rate of ten cents on each hundred dollars of assessed value was set when the town was incorporated in 1953. The rate has never been changed.
When it was learned in early March 1953 that the Southern States Cooperative planned to build a mill in the community, a group of citizens met to discuss strategies for preventing that serious threat to the well-being of the village. Fifty-five residents signed a petition for a Circuit Court injunction against the building and operation of the mill, citing problems related to traffic, health, water supply, pollution, and property values. The court issued the injuction, and on the last day of the same month the Governor signed a bill for incorporation of the Village of Rosemont. After election of a burgess and four commissioners on May 2, 1953, the first item of business was the establishment of a zoning commission and a zoning ordinance. The residents of Rosemont have been able to enjoy living in their quiet rural community without apprehension of disruptive development ever since. Adapted from the Maryland Municipal League website.