About the Club
The Rutland County RC Flyers have been around since the early 1970's. In those days, club members actually flew their models at what is now the Rutland Southern Vermont Regional Airport. After 9/11, however, with the onset of increased airport security, we needed to find a new home.
We found it at the site of the Fair Haven Municipal Airport, and with the support of the Town of Fair Haven, we have been there ever since. At first, club members flew in coordination with full-scale aircraft, using a grass runway adjacent to the airport's original 2,000 foot gravel runway. In 2006, Fair Haven Municipal Airport was closed to general aviation, which left the club a superb area in which to fly RC aircraft. The airport, itself, has a fascinating history, which is detailed on Paul Freeman's site Abandoned and Little Known Airfields.
Per agreement with the Town of Fair Haven, everyone that flies radio controlled aicraft at our site must meet the following two requirements:
- Maintain current membership with the Academy of Model Aeronautics (and follow the AMA Safety Code).
- Be a full member (or guest) of the Rutland County RC Flyers (click for membership information). It doesn't take a winning lottery ticket to fly RC...it all depends on the size and type of aircraft you wish to fly. Club members can certainly help you get started.
An addition to having fun flying RC models, the Rutland County RC Flyers also give back to our host community. Each year we donate to Fair Haven area organizations, such as Fair Haven Concerned, and the various First Responder units in town (Fire Dept, Police Dept, Fair Haven Rescue). We also donate free ice cream cones each summer at Fair Haven's Concerts in the Park series.
If you'd like to simply visit with us, meet the pilots and watch the action, you are most welcome to join us during the warmer months at the airport. We generally fly on Tuesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays. See details, below, for a map and directions to our site.
Public Club Documents and Links
- AMA Safety Code
- AMA Safety Handbook
- Club Safety & Operational Guidelines
- FAA UAS Data & Altitude Limits (Map)
- Facebook Group (Requires FB login)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Membership Application
- Newsletter - Summer, 2019
- Pilot Handbook (For members & guests)
- Solo Requirements
Members Only Links
Only current members of the Rutland County RC Flyers have access to this part of our site. If you're a club member and change your email address, please forward it to our Treasurer, Jim Rotondo, so we can update our records and ensure you still have access.
Directions to the Airport
- Take Exit 2 off US Rt. 4 (Fair Haven exit)
- Take Rt. 22A (Washington St.) south towards Fair Haven.
- Take the first left after you pass McDonalds onto 4th Street, then an immediate sharp left onto Airport Road.
- Follow Airport Road to the end until you reach the intersection with the airport's original gravel runway.
- STOP! Wait until a club member waves you down the gravel runway towards the pit area.
- Proceed slowly down the gravel runway to the pit area and park.
- ALTERNATE ROUTE: Conditions-permitting, you can also follow the mowed path off of Airport Rd. directly to the pit area.