What are the Benefits of Becoming a Member of Psi Chi?
The intrinsic value of membership is rewarding to the
achiever in that recognition of excellence leads to self-fulfillment and
thus to self-realization. By recognizing that what you do does make a
difference, you are stimulated to higher productivity. Accomplishments
are enjoyed more when shared with others. Furthermore, the contacts made
through Psi Chi will be valuable throughout your educational and
Concrete advantages of membership include:
- The documents a membership certificate and card which give tangible evidence of membership.
- The references provided throughout one's lifetime (this service alone is worth the investment).
- The experience gained by working with Psi Chi is excellent
for building up a resume; it is difficult to attain that first
managerial and creative experience.
Psi Chi is a springboard for professional growth.
Opportunities are made available to the members for promoting their
research, receiving national and international recognition, meeting and
interacting with leaders in their field, and meeting Psi Chi members of
other chapters who also will be future leaders.
The United States government recognizes membership in Psi
Chi as meeting one of the requirements for entrance at the GS-7 level in
the Federal service.
Climaxing the benefits mentioned above is knowing that many
individuals, by their caring, dedication, perseverance, and hard work,
have made it possible to encourage young persons interested in
psychology to strive for excellence--to reach toward that attainable
The ultimate test of the value of any membership
organization lies in the accomplishments of its members. In each year of
Psi Chi's history, more and more members have undertaken graduate
studies. Psi Chi is well represented in the professional ranks of all
the behavioral sciences. The membership directories of the American
Psychological Association (APA) and the American Psychological Society
(APS) are studded with the names of Psi Chi members, both active and
alumni. This is only one example demonstrating that the Society's
purposes are being fulfilled.
Advantages to Becoming a Member of Psi Chi:
- Psi Chi provides national recognition for academic
excellence in psychology, an honor which can be noted on employment
applications, vitae, and résumés.
- Through membership in Psi Chi, students gain a sense of
community with others in psychology and an identification with the
- Psi Chi provides a local, regional, and national forum
for obtaining information and developing perspectives about the field of
psychology, learning about educational and career opportunities, and
forming meaningful professional networks.
- On the local level, chapter membership facilitates
leadership development, interaction with other students who have similar
interests, and service to the department and institution sponsoring Psi
- Members receive a membership card and certificate and,
through chapter mailings, copies of Eye on Psi Chi. (Following
graduation, members may subscribe to Eye on Psi Chi.)
- Psi Chi chapter activities provide students with
valuable opportunities to develop one-on-one relationships with
professors who can stimulate their interest in psychology, involve them
in research projects, and write meaningful letters of recommendation for
- Psi Chi encourages student research at the regional and
national as well as local levels through undergraduate and graduate
research award competitions and provides opportunities for students to
present research and receive certificates recognizing their
accomplishments at regional and national psychological association
- Psi Chi provides over $225,000 annually in awards and grants to its student members, faculty advisors, and chapters.
- Psi Chi sponsors outstanding programs at regional and
national psychological association meetings. Members benefit not only
from the programs, but also from the opportunity to meet leading
psychologists and students from other chapters.
- Membership in Psi Chi meets one of the requirements for
entrance at the GS-7 level in numerous professional and technical
occupations in the United States government.
- Membership is for life. The national registration fee
of $35 is the only payment ever made to the national organization, which
does not charge dues.
2002-04 Psi Chi, The National Honor Society in Psychology