Contact: jbuchan4 [at] gmu.edu
I am an economics doctoral candidate at George Mason university where I am writing my dissertation on the microeconomic foundations of wage rigidity. I have taught several classes including Principles of Microeconomics and developed original curriculum for "Gold Diggers: Economic Development in the Wake of the California Gold Rush".
The following is an overview of my recent professional activities:
- "Smile, Dictator, You're on Camera" accepted at Southern Economic Journal
-Presenter at Vernon Smith's 90 Birthday Celebration
- Presenter at the Southern Economic Association meetings in Washington D.C.
- Attended Virginia Experimental Social Science Conference at the University of Virginia
- Awarded National Science Foundation dissertation improvement grant
- Taught summer term Principles of Microeconomics
- "Economics of the World beyond the Textbook: Two Methods for Teaching," accepted at Journal of Economics and Finance Education, with Steven Gjerstad
- "Information Effects in Multi-Unit Dutch Auctions," accepted at Southern Economic Journal, with David Porter and Steven Gjerstad
- Presenter at Eastern Economic Association Meeting in Washington D.C.
- "The Global Challenge of Inequality," Foreign Policy and the Scottish Government, D.C.
- Presenter at APEE conference, Las Vegas
- Presented "Labor Supply Response to Price Level Shocks" and "Who Wins in the Game of Capitalism" at the Southern Economic Association meeting in Atlanta, GA- Barcelona LEEX Experimental Economics Summer School in Macroeconomics, Universitat Pompeu Fabra
- Taught "International Economic Policy" at GMU
- My band "The Confounded Nuisances" won the Best in Show award at the annual ICES Talent Show
- "An Experiment on Protecting Intellectual Property," with Bart Wilson, accepted at Experimental Economics
2012- Presented at Economic Science Association meeting in Tucson, AZ
- “Underwater Recession,” with Steven Gjerstad and Vernon L. Smith. The American Interest, May/June 2012.
- Taught "Gold Diggers: Economic development in the wake of the California gold rush" at Chapman University
- Discussant, Experimental Economics, Accounting and Society: A Conference in Memory of John Dickhaut, Orange, CA
2011- Op-ed online at The Financial Times, with Steven Gjerstad and Vernon Smith
- Presented "An Experiment on Protecting Intellectual Property" at the Becker Center at U. Chicago