Note: Various reprints and translations are described as forthcoming to indicate that I was told of a definite plan to publish, but not of its successful conclusion. Hopefully some of these are actually in print.
The Authority of Law, (Oxford: OUP 1979. Second edition 2009).
book includes reprints, with some modifications, of essays 5, 9, 11, 12, 15,
17, 19, 23 below.The second edition includes a new introduction and essays 27 & 108 below.
Spanish translation 1982. Polish translation, ABC Publishing House, Warsaw 2000. Chinese translation (Law Press of Beijing) 200 5. New Spanish translation, UNAM forthcoming 2006. Publication in Turkish rights bought by dost kitabevi yayinlari.
Ch. 13 ‘The Right of Civil Disobedience' in Hebrew in The Limits of Obedience, ed. by Dinah and Yshai Mnuhin 1985 14 Narkiss St, Jerusalem; also in H. Bedau (ed.) Civil Disobedience in Focus, Routledge 1991. Selection in H. Davis & D. Holdcroft (eds.), Jurisprudence: Texts and Commentary, Butterworth 1991. Most of pp. 153-159 in Le positivisme juridique, edited by Grzegorczyk, Michaut, Troper (L.G.D.J, Paris, 1993). Ch. 3 in A. Kavanagh and J. Oberdiek (eds.) Arguing about Law (Routeledge 2009). Part of Legal Positivism and the Sources of Law in Himma (ed.), The Nature of Law: Philosophical Issues in Conceptual Jurisprudence and Legal Theory (Foundation Press, 2011).
THE CONCEPT OF A LEGAL SYSTEM, (Oxford: OUP, 2nd ed. 1980).
First published 1970; 2nd ed. includes 24 below. Italian translation, Il Mulino 1977; Spanish translation 1986. Japanese translation by Hiroshi Matsuo, 1998. Bulgarian & Chinese translations 2005. Portuguese translation 2012, Spanish (new from UNAM) translation forthcoming. Pp.121/2, 147-166 included in Patrick Martin & George Christie (eds.) Jurisprudence: Texts and Readindgs on the Philosophy of Law, (West Publishing Co. 1995). Farsi trs. by Ali Akbar Siapoush 2016.
The Morality of Freedom, (Oxford: OUP, 1986).
material from 21, 25, 28, 33, 35, 37, 41, 45 below.
Practical Reason and Norms, (Oxford: OUP 1999)
Includes materials from 12, 13, 14 below.
First published by Hutchinson, 1975. 2nd ed. Princeton, Princeton UP 1990). Spanish translation by Juan Ruiz Manero, Madrid: Centro de Estudios Constitutionales, 1991. German translation by Ruth Zimmerling (Suhrkamp 2006); Portuguese translation from Elsevier Brazil Campus of Rio de Janeiro. Chinese translation (publisher China Legal Publishing House) 2012. Pp. 53-8 reprinted in Lloyd's Introduction to Jurisprudence, 5th ed., and in 9th ed. edited by M.D.A. Freedman & Lord Lloyd. A short selection in H. Davis & D. Holdcroft (eds.), Jurisprudence: Texts and Commentary, Butterworth 1991.
ETHICS IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN, (Oxford: OUP, 1994)
Reprints essays 30, 32, 36, 38, 42, 46, 49, 50, 52, 54, 57, 60, 61, 62, 63 below, and one new chapter. Revised paperback ed. 1995, includes essay 47 below.
Spanish translation by Editorial Gedisa, 2001. Serbian translation by CID Montenegro forthcoming. Chinese translation by Jiangsu People's Press 2007
ENGAGING REASON: On the Theory of Value and Action (Oxford: OUP, 2000)
Reprints essays 55, 65, 71, 75 (revised & expanded), 76, 78, 83, 84, 86, 87 below.
VALUE, RESPECT, and ATTACHMENT (Cambridge: CUP 2001)
Based on the Seeley lectures, 2000. Portugese trs. By Martins Fontes Editora Lda San Paolo 2004. Italian trs. in Edizioni Diabasis, 2003, Spanish trs. Colombia 2004. Chinese trs. 2015, Japanese trs. to be published by Nippon Hyoron Sha forthcoming.
THE PRACTICE OF VALUE (Oxford: OUP 2003)
Tanner lectures delivered at Berkeley in 2001. The volume is edited with an introduction by Jay Wallace. It includes the lectures (89 below), comments by Korsgaard, Pippin & Williams, and a response. The response (but unfortunately not the comments) can be read here.
BETWEEN AUTHORITY & INTERPRETATION (Oxford: OUP 2009)
Includes essays 66, 68, 70, 74, 77, 79, 80, 88, 95, 97, 99, 105 below
Spanish trs by H. Bouvier, P. Navaro & R.S. Brigido published by Marcial Pons 2013, Chinese trs due 2012 by China University of Political Science & Law Press. A short excerpt in in 9th edition of Lloyd’s Introduction to Jurisprudence.
FROM NORMATIVITY TO RESPONSIBILITY (OXFORD: OUP 2011)
Includes material from essays 94, 96, 98, 101, 103, 111, 112, 114, 117, 118, 119 below
BOOKS OF ESSAYS IN TRANSLATION
Reprints essays 17, 23, 30, 32, 33, 37, 42, 62 below.
Reprints essays 35, 37, 41, 45, 47, 49, 57, 61 below
Law Morality and Society, Essays in Honour of H.L.A. Hart, ed. with P.M.S. Hacker, (Oxford: OUP 1977).
Practical Reasoning, (Oxford: OUP 1978).
Spanish translation 1986 in Mexico as vol 402 in Breviarios, Fondo de Cultura Economica.
Authority, (Oxford: Blackwells 1990).
Postscript to THE CONCEPT OF LAW by H.L.A. Hart, edited with P.A. Bulloch, published posthumously by O.U.P. in 1994.
2. "Austin and the Sovereign's Power" (in Hebrew), Mishpatim 1 (1969) 372-9.
3. "Legal Principles and Judicial Discretion" (in Hebrew), Mishpatim 2 (1970) 372-9.
Also in Spanish in Boletin Mexicano de Derecho Comparado 1974 p. 139; In Legal Positivism, ed. Mario Jori, (a volume in The International Library of Essays in Law and Legal Theory, general editor Tom Campbell), Dartmouth, 1992.
Also in M. Cohen, Dworkin and Contemporary Juris. Rowman & Allanhead, Totowa N.J. 1984, and in Insonomia-Doxa (2003), forthcoming in Chinese trs by Lei Lei Comparative Law Studies.
Also in S. Paulson & B. Paulson (eds.) Normativity and Norms (Oxford: OUP 1999).
9. "The Functions of Law", in Oxford Essays in Jurisprudence (edited by A.W.B. Simpson), OUP 1973.
10. "Reasons, Requirements and Practical Conflicts", in Practical Reason (ed by S. Korner), Blackwell 1974.
11. "Kelsen's Doctrine of the Basic Norm", Am. J. of Juris, 19 (1974) 94-111.
Also in S. Paulson & B. Paulson (eds.) Normativity and Norms (Oxford: OUP 1999). Forthcoming (2007) in a collection of essays edited by Rodrigo Valadão (in Rio de Janero). published in Korean Journal of Legal Philosophy vol. 15 no. 1 (2012) (tr. Prof. Kyung-hwi Kwon). Turkish trs in Ankara University Law Review, 2013, 62/4.
12. "The Institutional Nature of Law", Modern Law Review 1975.
13. "Permission and Supererogation", American Philosophical Quarterly 12 (1975) 161-168
14. "Reasons, Decisions and Norms", Mind (1975) 481-499
15. "The Rule of Law and its Virtue", Law Quarterly Review 93 (1977) 195-211
in Liberty and the Rule of Law (edited by R.L. Cunningham), Texas
A&M University Press 1979; selection from it in Cases and Materials on Constitutional and Administrative Law, (eds.
M.J.Allen, B.Thompson & B.Walsh), Blackstone Press, 1990) and in Constitutional Law in Malaysia and
Singapore (eds. Kevin Tan Yew Lee et
al), Butterworths 1991; also in Conrad Johnson (ed.) Philosophy of Law (Macmillan 1992), & in Joshua Cohen &
Archon Fung (eds.) Constitution, Democracy and State Power: The
Institutions of Justice, Edward Elgar Publishing (forthcoming); & in
Kam-por Yu et al (eds.) Reader in Social & Political Philosophy
in both Chinese and English (forthcoming). Selection in Sourcebook on Public Law (Cavendish Publishing Ltd. 1997). In Readings in the Philosophy of Law, Eds.
J. Arthur & W. Shaw (Prentice Hall 2000) I. Loveland (ed.) Constitutional Law (Ashgate:
International Library of Law and Legal Theory). & in The Rule of Law and the Separation of Powers edited by Richard
Bellamy (Ashgate), & in Aileen Kavanagh and John Oberdiek (eds.) Arguing about Law (Routeledge 2009), & in L. May and P. Morrow (eds.) Procedural Justice, Ashgate 2012
16. "Promises and Obligations", in Law, Society and Morality.
17. "Legal Validity", Archiv fur Rechts- und Sozialphilosophie Bd. LXIII/3 (1977) 339-352.
Also in the Korean Journal of Legal Philosophy vol. 13 no. 2 (2010) (trs. by Kyung-Hwi Kwon). Part of the article in Himma (ed.), The Nature of Law: Philosophical Issues in Conceptual Jurisprudence and Legal Theory (Foundation Press, 2011).
18. "Kelsen's General Theory of Norms", Philosophia (1976) 495-504.
19. "On Legitimate Authority", Philosophical Law (edited by R. Bronaugh), Greenwood Press.
20. "Prof. Dworkin's Theory of Rights", Political Studies, 26 (1978) 123-137.
21. "Principles of Equality", Mind (1978) 321-342.
Also in Mane Hajdin The Notion of Equality (Ashgate), and in German trs by L. Meyer and B. Reiter in Gleichheit oder Rerechtigkeit ed. by Angelika Krebs (Suhrkamp, 2000)
22. "Introduction to Practical Reasoning", in Practical Reasoning, (1978),
23. "Legal Reasons, Sources and Gaps", Archiv fur Rechts- und Sozialphilosophie Beiheft Nr. 11, pp.197-215.
24. "Sources, Normativity and Individuation", The Concept of a Legal System 2nd ed. 1980.
25. "Authority and Consent", Virginia L.Rev. 67 (1981) 103-131
Also in El Languaje del Derecho (ed. in Spanish by Bulygin, Farrell, C.S. Nino), Abeledo Perro, Buenos Aires 1983. Chinese translation by Shinggui Mao to be published by Zhejiang University Press.
26. "Promises in Morality and Law" (Rev. of Atiyah, Promises, Morals and Law), Harvard L.Rev. 95 (1982) 916.
27. "The Purity of the Pure Theory", Revue Internationale de Philosophie 35 (1981) 441-459
Also in Essays on Kelsen (edited by R. Tur & W. Twining), OUP 1986; and in Lloyd's Introduction to Jurisprudence, 5th ed., Stevens, London 1984, also 2001, and in the 9th edition; in The International Library of Essays in Law and Legal Theory, ed. Tom Campbell, Dartmouth; and in S. Paulson & B. Paulson (eds.) Normativity and Norms (Oxford: OUP 1999). Also in Schiff & Penner Introduction to Jurisprudence and Legal Theory: Commentary and Materials, Butterworth 2002
28. "Liberalism, Autonomy and the Politics of Neutral Concern", Midwest Studies in Philosophy 7 (1982) 89-102
Also in R. Arneson (ed) Liberalism, Vol.III, The Elgar Reference Collection 1992, and in J. Kis (ed.) Contemporary Political Philosophy, CEU Press (also in Bulgarian, Czech, Lithuanian, Latvian, Ukranian, Georgian and Bielorussian translations); and in G.W. Smith (ed.) Liberalism: critical assessments, Routeledge 2003; and in Perfectionism and Neutrality, eds. Kolsko & Wall, Rowman and Littlefield, 2003. Chinese translation in Liberal Neutrality and Its Critics, ed. Ying Qi (Philosophy, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China) publisher: Jiangsu People’s Publishing House, Nanjin
29. "The Claims of Reflective Equilibrium", Inquiry 25 (1982) 307
Also in Equality and Liberty (edited by J. Angelo Corlett), Macmillan, 1991.
30. "The Problem about the Nature of Law", Contemporary Philosophy: A New Survey, vol.3 p.107, Nijhoff, 1983
in U. of Western Ontario L.R. 21 (1983) 203-218; and in Lloyd's
Introduction to Jurisprudence, 5th. ed. edited by Lord Lloyd and M.D.A.
Freedman, (London: Stevens, 1984). In Spanish in Isonomia 3 (1995) 131 (tr. By Rolando Tamayo). In Korean in the Korean Journal of Legal Philosophy vol. 10 no. 2 (2007) 411-432 (tr. by Kyung-Hwi Kwon)
31. "Hart on Moral Rights and Legal Duties", Oxford J.L.St. 4 (1984) 123-131.
32. "Legal Rights", Oxford J.L.St. 4 (1984) 1.
Also in Jurisprudence, Rights and their Foundations, ed. by J. Coleman & A. Sebok (Garland Publications, 1994); & in The International Library of Essays in Law and Legal Theory, ed. Tom Campbell, Dartmouth; & in The Philosophy of Law, ed. By Henry Richardson, Garland Publishing.
33. "On the Nature of Rights", Mind 93 (1984) 194-214.
in Winston (ed.) The Philosophy of Human Rights. Forthcoming in Ten Chin Liew (ed.) Theories of Rights
34. "Postscript to Legal Principles and the Limits of Law" in Dworkin and Contemporary Jurisprudence (edited by M. Cohen), Rowman and Allanhead.
35. "Right-based Morality", J. Waldron (ed.) Theories of Rights, (OUP 1984)
Also in R. Frey (ed.), Utility and Rights, Minnesota U.P. in the USA and Blackwells in England, 1984. First section in Tom L. Beauchamp (ed.) Philosophical Ethics, (McGraw Hill, 1990 or 91); also in Rights and Reason : Essays in Honor of Carl Wellman by Carl Wellman (Editor), Larry May (Editor), Kate Parson (Editor), jenn Stiff (Kluwer 2001), to be published in C. Wellman (ed.), Rational Foundations of Rights and Duties, Routeledge NY.
36. "The Obligation to Obey: Revision and Tradition", Notre Dame Journal of Law Ethics & Public Policy 1 (1984) 139
Also in Natural Law, ed. J. Finnis, vol. II, Dartmouth 1991; and in D’Amato, Analytic Jurisprudence Anthology, Anderson Publishing Co. forthcoming 1996. Also in The Duty to Obey ed. W.A. Edmundson, Rowman & Littlefield, 1999. Chinese translation in Political Obligation: Justifying and Rejecting (ed. Shinggui Mao, Jiangsu People's Publishing House, 2007). also in A. Kavanagh and J. Oberdiek (eds.) Arguing about Law (Routeledge 2009)
37. "Authority and Justification", Phil. & Pub.Aff. 14 (1985) 3
Also in Hebrew in On Democracy and Obedience, ed. Ishai Menuhin 1990, in Authority (above), and in The Philosophy of Law, ed. J. Coleman (Garland Publishing Inc. 1994). Chinese translation by Shinggui Mao to be published by Zhejiang University Press.
38. "Authority, Law and Morality", The Monist 68 (1985) 295.
Published in Korean Journal of Legal Philosophy vol. 12 no. 1 (tr. by Kyung-Hwi Kwon). Forthcoming in K. Himma & B. Bix (eds) Law and Morality (Ashgate Publishing), and in 9th edition of Lloyd’s Introduction to Jurisprudence.
39. "The Morality of Obedience", A Review of Soper "A Theory of Law", Michigan L.R. 83 (1985) 732-749.
40. "Value Incommensurability: some preliminaries", Proceedings of the Arist.Soc. 86(1985/6)17
Reprinted in Ethics and Economics, ed. A. Hamlin, (Cheltenham, Edward Elgar, 1995)
41. "The Inner Logic of the Law", in Reason & Experience in Contemporary Legal Thinking, edited by T. Eckhoff, L.M. Friedman, & J. Uusitalo, Rechtstheorie Beiheft No. 10, Verlag Dunlker & Hublot, Berlin 1986
42. "Dworkin: A New Link in the Chain", California Law Review 74 (1986) 103.
Forthcoming in K. Himma & B. Bix (eds) Law and Morality ((Ashgate Publishing)
43. "Hart", in H.L.A. Hart Y El Concepto de Derecho, Revisto de Siencias Sociales, Universidad de Valparaiso No.28 1986 (in Spanish).
Also revised as "H.L.A. Hart" (1907-1992)", Utilitas, 5 (1993) 145. Hungarian trs. in Jog és filozófia Antológia a XX. század jogi gondolkodása köréből ed. Csaba Varga, 3rd enl. ed. (Budapest: Szent István Társulat 2001), 429–442, and forthcoming in Lajos Cs. Kiss (ed.) The Lecgal Science of H.L.A. Hart in a Critical Context.
44. "Autonomy, Toleration, and the Harm Principle", Issues in Contemporary Legal Philosophy, ed. by R. Gavison, OUP 1987
45. "Government by Consent", Nomos 29 (1987) 76.
46. "Liberating Duties", Law & Philosophy, 8 (1989) 3-21.
47. "Facing Up: A Reply", Southern California L.R. 62 (1989) 1153-1235.
Chinese translation forthcoming.
48. "Liberalism, Skepticism and Democracy", Iowa Law Review 74 (1989) 761-786.
Also in V. Blasi (ed.) Ideas of the First Amendment (Thomson/West, 2006), and in Rumanian translation in Polis (a political quarterly) (forthcoming)
49. "Facing Diversity: The Case of Epistemic Abstinence", Philosophy & Public Affairs 19 (1990) 3.
Also in Henry Richardson & Paul Weithman (eds.), The Philosophy of Rawls, (Garland Publishing 1999)
50. "Rethinking Exclusionary Reasons", Practical Reason and Norms, 2nd ed. Princeton UP, 1990.
51. (with A. Margalit), "National Self-Determination", J.Phil. 87 (1990) 439
in Elizabeth Smith & Gene Blocker, Applied Social & Political Philosophy, (Prentice Hall 1994), also in The Rights of Minority Cultures, ed. by
Kymlicka (Oxford: OUP 1995), also in Inguruak
19 (1997) 9-35 (in Spanish). A section included in Wolff & Rosen: Political Thoght (OUP, 1999); also in
G. Sher & B. Brody (eds.), Political Philosophy: Selected Readings
(Harcourt-Brace, 2000), 2 pages in R.N. Clinton, C. Goldberg, R. Tsosie (eds.) American Indian Law: Native nations and the
federal union (4th ed.) (LexisNexis 2004) , also (complete) in R.
Goodin & P. Petit (eds.) Contemporary Political Philosophy (Blackwells 2005). Also Global Ethics: Seminal
Essays, edited by K.Horton & T. Pogge (Paragon 2007), in The Global Justice Reader edited by Thom
Brooks (Blackwells 2007), and in P. Jones (ed.) Global Rights (Ashgate), & in T. Pogge & K. Horton (eds) Global Ethics: Seminal Essays (Paragon House 2008), in Baumann, Mayer and Zangl (eds.), International Relations: The Great Debates (Elgar, forthcoming), and in M Frost (ed.) International Ethics (Sage forthcoming 2011).
52. "Introduction", Authority, Blackwells 1990.
Chinese translation by Shinggui Mao to be published by Zhejiang University Press.
53. "The Politics of the Rule of Law", Ratio Juris 3 (1990) 331
Also in The Indian Journal of Constitutional Law 2 (2008) 1-10
54. "Morality as Interpretation", on Walzer's "Interpretation & Social Criticism", Ethics 101 (1991) 392
55. "Mixing Values", Aristotelian Society, Supp. Vol. 65 (1991) 83.
56. "Freedom of Expression and Personal Identification", Oxford J.L.St., 11 (1991) 303
Included in Waluchow (ed.), Free Expression (Oxford, OUP 1994), in Zmanim.No. 50-51, Winter 1994 (in Hebrew), and in V. Blasi (ed.) Ideas of the First Amendment (Thomson/West, 2006)
57. Interview (by Juan Ruiz Manero), Doxa, 9 (1991) 321-344; (in Spanish)
58. "Formalism and the Rule of Law", Natural Law Theory, R. George (ed.) (Oxford: Oxford UP, 1992).
59. "The Relevance of Coherence", Boston University Law Review 72 (1992) 273.
The appendix and a section on Dworkin in Justine Burley (ed.), Dworkin and His Critics (Blackwells 2004)
60. "Rights and Individual Well-Being", Ratio Juris, 5 (1992) 127
Also in Italian in Analisi e Diritto, 1991, p. 277-300, and in A. Kavanagh and J. Oberdiek (eds.) Arguing about Law (Routeledge 2009)
61. "On The Autonomy of Legal Reasoning", Ratio Juris, 6 (1993) 1-15.
62. "Multiculturalism: A Liberal Perspective", Recht in een multiculturele samenleving, N.J.H. Huls & H.D. Stout (eds.), W.E.J. Tjeenk Willink - Zwole, 1993; 127-148
Also (somewhat shortened) in Dissent, Jan 1994, & in Deutsche Zeitschrift für Philosophie, 43 (1995) 2 307-327 (tr. By Barbara Reiter). A selection in Liberalism ed. by Mikael Garandeau (Paris: Garnier-Flammarion, 1998, pp. 211-15).; Dissent version in Altera 13 (2000) tr. into Rumanian by Maria Albert. Forthcoming in Italian in Post-flosofie.
63. "A Morality Fit for Humans": A Review article of Scheffler's HUMAN MORALITY, Michigan Law Review 91 (1993) 1297-1314.
64. "Incommensurabilidad Y Razonamiento Juridico" (in Spanish), Telos2 (1993) 85-98 . (derives in part from "The Autonomy of Legal Reasoning").
65. “Moral Change and Social Relativism”, Cultural Pluralism and Moral Knowledge, eds. E.F. Paul, F.D. Miller, J. Paul, Cambridge U.P. 1994
66. “Interpretation Without Retrieval”, Law & Interpretation, ed. A. Marmor (Oxford, OUP 1995) 155-176.
Being a greatly revised version of “Interpretation Without Intention”, Tel Aviv U. LR 18 (1994) 407 (in Hebrew translation). which it completely replaces. In a Chinese trs. of the volume Beijing, Law Publishing House, 2006; in Ukrainian in Philosophy of Law and General Theory of Law 2014.
67. “Rights and Politics”, Indiana Law Review 71 (1995) 27-44
Also in Law, Values and Social Practices, ed. J. Tasioulas (Aldershot: Dartmouth 1997).
68. “On the Nature of Law”, (The Kobe lectures of 1994), Archiv fòr Rechts und Sozialphilosophie 82 (1996) 1-25.
Forthcoming in K. Himma & B. Bix (eds) Law and Morality ((Ashgate Publishing)
69. “Liberalism in an Age of Conflict”, interview by Beata Polanowska (in Polish), Odra 1996, no. 2, pp. 5-11, no.3, pp.30-37.
Also in Oblicza Liberalizmu, interviews with Berlin, Gray, Lukes, Raz with Beata Polanowska , Krakow 2003, pp 87-112, and in Beata Polanowska-Sygulska's book Oxford Philosophers (2011) in Polish.
70. “Intention in Interpretation”, The Autonomy of Law, ed. R.P. George (Oxford: OUP 1996), pp.249-286.
71. “The Moral Point of View”, Reason, Ethics and Society, ed. J.B. Schneewind (Chicago: Open Court 1996) 84-116.
72. “The Importance of Rights and their Limits”, Western Rights, Post-Communist Application, ed. A. Sajo (The Hague: Kluwer Law International 1996), pp. ix-xviii.
73. “Liberty and Trust”, Natural Law, Liberalism and Morality, ed. R.P. George, (Oxford, O.U.P. 1996).
74. “Why Interpret”, Ratio Juris 9 (1996) 349-363.
In Spanish: Isonomia, 5 (1996) 25-40, and in Interpretacion juridica y decision judicial, ed. R Vazquez (Distriutiones Fontanamar, Mexico City, 1998). Also in ARSP – Beiheft 69 (IVR Congress, Bologna 1998) eds. E. Atwool & P. Comanducci (Franz Steiner Verlag, Stuttgart); & in D.N. MacCormick & F. Artia (eds.), Law and Interpretation (International Library of Essays in Law and Legal Theory, 2nd series), Ashgate, 2003.
75. “When We are Ourselves: The Active and The Passive”, Aristotelian Society, Supplementary Volume 71 (1997) 211-229
76. “The Amoralist”, Cullity & Gaut (eds.) Ethics and Practical Reason1997) 369-398 (Oxford: OUP .
77. “Postema on Law’s Autonomy and Public Practical Reasons: a critical comment”, Legal Theory 4 (1998) 1-20
78. “Incommensurability and Agency”, R. Chang (ed.) Incommensurability, Incomparability and Practical Reason (Canbridge, Mass.:Harvard U.P. 1998) 110-128.
79. “On the Authority and Interpretation of Constitutions: Some Preliminaries”, L. Alexander (ed.) Constitutionalism: philosophical foundations (Cambridge University Press, 1998) 152-193.
in Spanish in Anuario de Derechos Humanos, nueva epoca vol. 2 (Madrid
2001); also in Problema. Anuario de Filosofía y Teoría del Derecho (Mexico City 2007)
80. “Two Views of the Nature of the Theory of Law: A Partial Comparison”, Legal Theory 4 (1998) 249-282.
Also in Hart’s Postcript ed. By J. Coleman (OUP 2001)
81. “Multiculturalism”, Ratio Juris 11 (1998)
Bulgarian translation in Critique & Humanism Journal 16/2 (2003); forthcoming in a Chinese volume on multiculturalism published by Zhejiang Univ.P. (trs by Li Li-Hong).
82. “Disagreement in Politics”, The American Journal of Jurisprudence, 43 (1998) 25-52
83. “Explaining Normativity: On Rationality and the Justification of Reason”, Ratio 12 (1999) 354-379.
Also in Dancy (ed.), Normativity (Oxford: Blackwell’s 2000)
84. “The Central Conflict: Morality and Self-Interest”, R. Crisp & B. Hooker (eds.), Well-Being and Morality: Essays in honour of James Griffin, (Oxford: Oxford U.P. 2000)
85. “On the Socratic Maxim”, Notre Dame LR 75 (2000) 1797-1806
86. “The Truth in Particularism”, B. Hooker & M. Little (eds.), Moral Particularism (OUP 2000) 48-78.
87. “Notes on Value and Objectivity”, B. Leiter (ed.) Objectivity in Law and Morals (CUP 2000) 194-233
88. “Reasoning with Rules”, Current Legal Problems, 54 (2001)
1-18. Pulished as Petrazycki lecture 2002 by Jus et Lex in both Polish and English. In Akadeemia (trs into Estonian by Hent Kalmo) 2008. Spanish trs in Auario de Filosfia Juridica y Social, 2010 (Chile)
89. “The Practice of Value”, The Tanner Lectures on Human Values, vol 23 2002, 113-150.
90. “On Frankfurt’s Explanation of Respect for People”, S. Buss & L. Overton (eds.), Contours of Agency: Essays on Themes from Harry Frankfurt, MIT Press 2002, 299-315.
91. An interview with Arto Laitinen, Niin &Nain (in Finnish) 2002, no. 35 pp. 37-41.
92. An interview with Roberto Farnetti “Filosofia e pratica della liberta” Iride 15 (37) Dec. 2002: 475-509 (in Italian)
Shortened version in Idees 19 (2003) 73-5 (in Catalan); also in Critical Review of International Social and Political (2006); An excerpt included in Sesquicentennial Essays of the Faculty of Columbia Law School (2008)
93. “Comments and Responses”, Rights, Culture, and the Law, Themes from the Legal and Political Philosophy of Joseph Raz, eds. L.H. Meyer, S.L. Paulson, T.W. Pogge (OUP 2003).
94. “Numbers, With and Without Contractualism”, Ratio 16 (2003) 346-367.
Reprinted in P. Stratton-Lake (ed.) On What We Owe to Each Other (Blackwell Publishing, 2005)
95. “About Morality and the Nature of Law”, The American Journal of Jurisprudence 48 (2003) 1-15.
Forthcoming in K. Himma & B. Bix (eds) Law and Morality ((Ashgate Publishing); Forthcoming in Rumanian in Linguistic and Philosophical Investigations
96. “Personal Practical Conflicts”, Practical Conflicts: New Philosophical Essays eds. P. Baumann & M. Betzler (NY: Cambridge UP 2004) 172-196.
97. “Incorporation by Law”, Legal Theory 10 (2004 ) 1-17.
Also in Spanish in Derechos y Libertades law review 16 (2007) 17-40. Forthcoming in Philosophy of Law: Critical Concepts in Philosophy, Routledge, 2006. Forthcoming in Rumanian in Linguistic and Philosophical Investigations.
98. “The Force of Numbers”, Royal Institute of Philosophy Lectures of 2003 (Cambridge UP 2005) 245-264.
99. “Can There be a Theory of Law?”, Golding & Edmundson (eds.) The Blackwell Guide to the Philosophy of Law and Legal Theory (Blackwell 2004)
Reprinted in Spanish in El Derecho Contemporaneo (Universidad Autonoma del Estado de Hidalgo, Mexico 2003/4); also in Una Discusion Sobre la Teoria del Derecho, with comments by R. Alexy & E. Bulygin, and a Reply by me (Madrid: Marcial Pons, 2007); Russian translation forthcoming in Russian Yearbook of Legal Theory, 2nd issue, 2011. Chinese trs. by Yang Bei in The Journal of Comparative Law (2012).
100. “The Role of Well-Being” Philosophical Perspectives 18 Ethics 2004