Research and academic publications
Current working papers and papers under revision
- Fiscal Transfers in the Spatial Economy (with Marcel Henkel and Tobias Seidel)
CEPR Discussion Paper 12875, April 2018. Read the VOX EU column about this paper.
- Assortative Matching in Cities (with Wolfgang Dauth, Sebastian Findeisen and Enrico Moretti)
Work in progress. Slides, March 2018
- German Robots - The Impact of Industrial Robots on Workers (with Wolfgang Dauth, Sebastian Findeisen and Nicole Woessner)
CEPR Discussion Paper 12306, September 2017. Read the VOX EU column about this paper
(with Kristian Behrens, Giordano Mion and Yasusada Murata)
ESG-UQAM Working Paper, January 2018. (new version of CEPR Discussion Paper 11642, "Distorted Monopolistic Competition")
Revise & resubmit: Quarterly Journal of Economics
- Adjusting to Globalization in Germany (with Wolfgang Dauth and Sebastian Findeisen
New version, February 2018. Read the VOX EU column about this paper. (an older version is available as CEPR Discussion Paper 11045)
Selected publications in peer-reviewed academic journals
[see my CV for the full list of publications]
- Trade and Manufacturing Jobs in Germany (with W.Dauth & S. Findeisen), American Economic Review (Papers & Proceedings), 2017. (VOX )
- Spatial Frictions (with K. Behrens, G. Mion & Y. Murata), Journal of Urban Economics, 2017. (VOX)
- Relational Contracts and Supplier Turnover in the Global Economy (with F. Defever & C. Fischer), Journal of International Economics, 2016. (VOX)
- The Rise of the East and the Far East: German Labor Markets and Trade Integration (with W. Dauth & S. Findeisen), Journal of the European Economic Association, 2014.
- Trade, Wages, and Productivity (with K. Behrens, G. Mion & Y. Murata), International Economic Review, 2014.
- City Age and City Size (with K. Giesen), European Economic Review, 2014.
- Global Sourcing of Complex Production Processes (with C.. Schwarz), Journal of International Economics, 2014.
- Subsidizing Firm Entry in Open Economies (with M. Pflüger), Journal of Public Economics, 2013.
- Dialects, Cultural Identity, and Economic Exchange (with O. Falck, S. Heblich & A. Lameli), Journal of Urban Economics, 2012.
- The Size Distribution Across All Cities - Double Pareto Lognormal Strikes (with K. Giesen & A. Zimmermann), Journal of Urban Economics, 2010
- Industry Churning and the Evolution of Cities: Evidence for Germany (with S. Findeisen), Journal of Urban Economics, 2008.
- Integration, Agglomeration and Welfare (with M. Pflüger), Journal of Urban Economics, 2008.
- Local Employment Growth in West Germany: A Dynamic Panel Approach (with U. Blien & K. Wolf), Labour Economics, 2006.
- Agglomeration and Regional Costs of Living, Journal of Regional Science, 2006.
Selected other publications
- The China shock and the rise of robots: Why Germany is different, in: Marin, D. (ed.), Explaining Germany's exceptional recovery, CEPR e-book, ch. 4, London, 2018 (article)
- Globalisierung unter Beschuss: Bestandsaufnahme des Freihandels, Aus Politik und Zeitgeschichte (APuZ), Vol. 68(4-5): 4-10. (article)
- Economic Effects of Differences in Dialect, IZA World of Labor, January 2018 (article)
- Die Globalisierungsverlierer kompensieren - Aber wie?, Wirtschaftsdienst, 2017, Vol. 97(8): 566-570. (pdf)
- Verlierer(-regionen) der Globalisierung in Deutschland: Wer? Warum? Was tun? (with Wolfgang Dauth and Sebastian Findeisen), Wirtschaftsdienst, 2017, Vol. 97(1): 23-31. (pdf) (Ökonomenstimme)
- Agglomeration and Regional Unemployment Disparities, PhD thesis. CeGE-Schriften, No. 6, Frankfurt a.M.: Peter Lang, 2003.