2021 (belated 2020) InDIYana Event Info
World-class audio meets mid-western show and tell with great ingenuity!
The 14th annual InDIYana speaker-DIY event!
As of 5/4/2020, InDIYana 2020 is currently postponed to September. The COVID19 virus has basically shut down the Midwest as government entities try to slow its devastation. 'Shelter-in-place' orders also prohibit travel for something like this event. The possibility of cancellation also could occur as time passes. As updates come forth, this site will reflect the current situation. It is not our wish to infect others through this type of gathering. Please use safe practices and protect the ones you love.
We are waiting until end of August to decide whether or not to still hold InDIYana this year. The date for the group rate expiration on the rooms has been delayed until 9/1/2020.
I will be posting a new poll on PETT as to whether the attendance will suffer enough (or whatever the reason) to not follow through and wait until next April.
With the conclusion of the poll listed above, the unfortunate result is that we will postpone InDIYana from 2020 until Spring of 2021, and hope that the world is finally climbing out of this pandemic. Keep your families and yourselves safe, and build speakers, and we will see you next year instead.
Friday April ______ -
8am(open) Music 9am to 10 pm (nothing loud after 9pm, per hotel's request. Background music only.)
We usually go out for dinner about 6-7pm, and then return and chat. Friday's schedule tends to be informal. However, with typically over 20 designs usually lined up for demonstration, expect something interesting going on all day long! Normally most start arriving after noon, but I will be there all day for whomever shows up. The first 3 hours can be interesting with only a few people present, so come at 9:00 am if you can swing it, or 8am to help set up!
Saturday April________ -
8am(open) Music 9am to 6 pm (we have the room until 10pm)
There will be a couple breaks, plus lunch break in the day. Electronic gear will be provided (amps, sources, cables). Please make sure your project can use banana jacks, or bring adapters so you can use the bananas in the speaker leads that will be present. Bring stands if you wish, but a pair of 22" stands will be present if you should need them. (If your bookshelf speakers have spikes underneath, please bring a pad to set them on.)
Presenter will have 5 minutes of their own music on an audio CD, to be played following the house tracks. If you do not bring music, you only get 5 minutes play time per project. There will not be 10 minutes on the event disc, only 5 minutes. For the theme, only the theme tracks are played (roughly 3 minutes time), but we can revisit them later for more if time allows. Please withhold synopsis until after the contest is over. Contest portion is normally started about 11am on Saturday, with the goal to be done by lunch.
Project theme or challenge details -
InDIYana 2021 theme: “Hindsight is 2020 (unfortunately it really was)”
There will not be a poll for theme selection for this next year, as the year in question dictates that we should ‘think about what is behind’. Please forgive the skew on the original meaning, but it does ironically apply quite well.
So- this is the year of the rearward radiation pattern. As usual, special considerations and a few restraints/rules exist for those inclined to enter the challenge. I have had a sounding board with some suggestions and concerns to make up this list. Being what this theme entails, the details are not supposed to be too stringent to stifle creativity, but to influence and make one ponder what to try. If you do not wish to enter the theme, you do not have to for attendance, and can bring whatever build tickles your fancy.
While the board of inquiries is not opposed to cardioid designs being brought under this year’s mantra, they are too hard to define in criteria via multiple means of execution for them to be valid as a theme entry without being looked at as another form of design. However, as long as there is attempt for equal radiation to front and rear in the same driver bandwidth; omnipolar, bipolar, and dipolar designs will qualify. For example, this means you can’t have a rear mounted tweeter and a front-facing boxed wide-range mid and qualify. You would still need any of a dipolar, omnipolar, or bipolar woofer section to qualify because the other 2 driver bandwidths do not.
Your woofers, mids, or tweeters, or any multiple driver sections if you choose to go full 4pi radiation for full bandwidth have to have a rear emanation of sound alike its front-facing counterpart.
- 2-way or 3-way designs are allowed. You want to build something simpler via a 2-way, go for it.
- Xover must be passive as usual.
- Only one driver bandwidth is required to have the rearward radiation. More than one is encouraged. Multiple drivers of same bandwidth are allowed, but all drivers with same bandwidth should have matching emanation.
- Qualifying frequencies for this theme are 100Hz and above.
- For the entries to be seen as valid there should be at least a 2 octave range where the entry exhibits approximate equal front and rear radiation.
- If you choose a closed/vented-box (bipolar) woofer alignment, you are limited to 8” woofers and 2ft^3 maximum volume. Down-firing subwoofers do not qualify as a rearward radiation method due to limited bandwidth and normal 4pi radiation of low bass.
- Dipole bass is limited to 12” woofers. H/W/U/N frames as well as ripoles are allowed.
- All theme projects should conform to a full-project-frame not to exceed 4’ H x 15” W x 18” deep. This is mainly for space constraints in the venue, and this should be adequate. Stand mounts are also allowed.
- Cost limits; as normal, this is not expected of contestants, but a limit as some of these open-backed/bipolar projects can get expensive with larger drivers and multiples used. This is merely to somewhat level the playing field and allows a more fair approach to those that enter. Pricing for drivers, purchased waveguides, and PRs; should not exceed $550/pair. Again- you do not have to spend $550, and can enter with much less out of pocket expense if you desire.
- Cost part 2; Due to likely multiples being used in this case, the limits ‘per driver’ are associated with their relative bandwidths. For woofers, $200 or less per side/channel, without exceeding $100/woofer. For mids/tweeters, $100 or less per side/channel. Since entries are limited to $550/pair in drivers for the entered pair of speakers, obviously the $800 total of the above limits does not apply. You will have to pick what you want to spend more on and where to cut costs to remain under $550.
One theme entry per person, please. Also to keep chances for everyone to demo over the 2 day event, please bring no more than 2 pair; one theme and one non-theme max, please.
***Challenge entries will play 3-5 minutes of challenge-music, and on to the next pair. This is to keep the entries playing consistent selections. You are welcome to play music of your own on your challenge entry at a time outside of the challenge. This is to keep the extent of time usage in the contest to a minimum.
Good luck to those who enter the challenge! You can bring whatever speaker project you want, but challenge entries must meet the above criteria.
Gloating rights will be the reward/award if you win the challenge. Nothing more, nothing less. This is just for fun!
Sponsors will soon be lining up.
PS- no buyout drivers allowed in contest/challenge, unless a regular price can be located, and that price is to be used to total costs.
PPS- Design must be repeatable, so drivers must be available for purchase. Waveguides and PRs are included in the driver cost calculation. Drivers that go on clearance or become NLA after your purchase has been made and no longer are available elsewhere will be allowed. Since the event themes are being announced about 10 months in advance, this is bound to happen occasionally. The basis will be left on the honor system. NLA drivers that have a twin 'newer rebadged model' can be used at the new model's retail cost.
PPPS- Adult beverages:
PLEASE TAKE NOTE:
THERE ARE TO BE NO, AS IN ZERO, ADULT BEVERAGES CONSUMED WITHIN THE MEETING PLACE/CONFERENCE ROOM. THE HOTEL'S 'MEETING PLACE POLICY' DOES NOT PERMIT THEM IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM. IF WE WANT TO KEEP HAVING THIS EVENT AT THE HAMPTON DUPONT, OR EVEN AT ALL, I HIGHLY SUGGEST WE ABIDE BY THIS SET OF GUIDELINES.
PPPPS- All tracks selected for the house tracks are done by a select few, myself included, and are not revealed until the day of and at the event. Theme tracks typically are not compiled or known by anyone except the person picking them, which are typically not done by me. If and when everything goes right, there should be CD copies of the house tracks available in limited quantities for those that might like one. MAC has in the past graciously hosted the tracks on their event-archiving website.
If you are not on the attendee list and would wish to attend, or would like to confirm your presence
We would like to give a gigantic THANK YOU to our sponsors!
(Please see list linked above)
Thanks for your time, and interest, and I hope to see or meet you /here/there!
Ben "Wolf" S.