High Altitude solo parachute jump, completed 9/25/2010
- A solo parachuting jump from 28,500 to 30,000 feet, freefalling to a 3,500 ft. parachute opening (+-26,000 ft. freefall)
- HALO is a military acronym for High Altitude (exit), Low Opening (of the parachute)
I intend to solo parachute jump from around 30,000 feet. The FAA, USPA and common sense requires training and qualification to do such a jump
- Jump Date September 26, 2010, outside of Memphis, USA.
.A 30k jump gives 2+ minutes freefall, max 250+mph, before opening at 3,500 ft for a 10 minute parachute ride down. Supplemental oxygen is needed.The free fall time will be in a belly-down stable position, with no maneuvers other than directional orientation to safeguard the oxygen system and to simplify the jump.Why?
...Because I like to and can...
- Training jumps for basic skydive currency has been completed (as of 8/29/2010 for stability, fwd/back control, 180, 360 turns, front/back flips, track, rolls, landing accuracy)
- 25 hours 2010 flight time under paragliding canopy in Telluride, good for basic canopy control, altitude awareness and high altitude acclimatization (2010 paragliding has been from 12,100 ft take off, up to 17,000 ft, though mostly while using supplemental oxygen.)
Sep 14, 2009 - FAA Aerospace Physiology Training completed at Peterson AFB, including chamber testing to 25,000 ft. Click here for training notes. The FAA training was very helpful in gaining familiarity with the O2 equipment and for my (re) experiencing 25k altitude (in a chamber).
July 20, 2009 - Class 3 Aviation Medical Certificate
- Decision to wear prescription glasses during the HALO (passed Aviators Medical eye exam, but borderline) I purchased mid-to-infinity corrective glasses, and decided the improvement in eyesight by using the glasses was greater than the risk by adding an additional complexity (glasses) that may fog or present other problems...[post jump note-the glasses did fog significantly and would have been better to have jumped without. There were edge sealing problems with the 02 mask.]
2009-2010 practice jumps
- Sept 11-12, 2010 - training jumps using the MC-4 military harness and chute that will be used during the HALO jump. I will also wear GoPro video cameras during the practice jumps to decide if to wear video during the HALO jump. (MC-4 training did not occur until Sept 25, 2010, practice jumps were made with civilian parachute rigs.)
- Sept 24, 2010 - pre jump training with oxygen system, parachute rig, aircraft ground training for parachute emergency procedures
- jump stability, altitude awareness, good arch, canopy control
- jump fwd/back control, 180, 360 turns
- jump front/back flips, roll, track
- jumps with demonstrated stability, no spins and good awareness
I am an experienced skydiver (D-licence holder, the highest rating), but did not jump from 2005 until 2010. I paraglide, which gives me confidence for canopy control. Needed parachute training for me is for freefall stability, equipment familarity and freefall/open parachute situational awareness.