My Classes

CLICK HERE if you are considering taking an online class from Julie Harland.
SPECIFIC INFORMATION FOR MY CLASSES WILL BE POSTED AT LEAST A FEW DAYS BEFORE THE START OF EACH SEMESTER. PLEASE READ THE INFO BELOW FOR MORE GENERAL INFO, OR HOW TO GET ON THE WAIT LIST OF A CLOSED CLASS. Each semester, there is a new syllabus, so if you have taken a class from me in the past, do not make any assumptions regarding any details or requirements. Please read all of the info below for some general info.

All students in my online classes must take proctored, in person exams, within a specified 4 day window--various times will be available at both campuses. Each student schedules an appointment directly with the Academic Proctoring Center (APC) at least 2-3 weeks in advance of each test. Students who need to take it out of the county may arrange with the APC to take a test at an approved proctoring center at another location. Click links for more info.

I do NOT use Blackboard for my classes.  Enrolled  students in online classes are required to enroll in the free open source software called MyOpenMath and submit work online the first day of class, and actively spend at least 4 hours in the online materials each week submitting homework, or may be dropped. Students taking my class on campus must attend each class the first 2 weeks, and must attend class every week, or may be dropped. Prior to the first official day of class, info to enrolled online students will be posted here and also emailed using the email in SURF. Make sure your email is correct in SURF. Click to learn how to Update Info/Email/Phone number in SURF.

Students in all of my classes need regular, reliable access to computer/internet to watch videos, print materials, and use a free online site called MyOpenMath (MOM) to submit homework. Students need to print out HW packets or complete video notebooks, and deliver any written HW to me as directed. The majority of the grade is based on proctored tests, which must be taken on campus. Students need to learn and master the material and demonstrate that by doing well on proctored test to pass the class. Doing well on HW is not the same as mastering or learning the material/concepts. Click Here if you need to take a test out of the county, or need to email written work to me.

My classes use open educational software, so students do not need to purchase a regular book or online access codes. There will be packets written by me you must purchase or print and submit.
Click here for information about the open software: You can create an account and try it out before class begins.

To enroll in one of my classes, log on to SURF and enroll in an open class, or get on a wait list if a class is closed. 
Students who seek to enroll in one of my closed class MUST get on the wait list. Click here for wait list procedures: 

If you are on a wait list, check your email daily, and pay for the class if you are auto-enrolled, or you will be dropped from the class as well as the wait list. IF YOU HAVE TAKEN A COURSE THREE TIMES (EARNING A GRADE OF D, F, or W), YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ENROLL. SEE NOTE AT BOTTOM.

If a class is open and SURF is not allowing you to enroll, or if a class is closed and SURF is not allowing you to get on the wait list, there is a problem with you enrolling in my class, and you will need to contact Admissions or a counselor to find out what the problem is. A permission number will not help or override that. Permission numbers do not override prerequisites, holds, debts, class conflicts, repeats, add deadlines or any other enrollment restrictions. 

I only give out permission numbers to students on the wait list if space becomes available in the class at the very start of the semester. DO NOT CALL OR EMAIL ME TO OBTAIN A PERMISSION NUMBER. Get on the wait list immediately if a class is full, and check email daily, including before class begins. If you are on the wait list and there is room in the class I will email you instructions about how to get a permission number. Check email daily and follow any instructions and deadlines given in the email. If I issue a permission number, add the class on SURF within 24 hours or it may expire. Click here for Directions for enrolling with a permission number

Creative Commons and Open Source License and Text/Course Info and credits

If you are taking Elementary Algebra and need to brush up on Prealgebra, go to

If you are taking Intermediate Algebra and need to brush up on Elementary Algebra, go to this site Elementary Algebra covers everything through Chapter 7.

If you do not get in a math class this semester, please enroll as early as possible for the next semester. Math classes (especially online ones) are very popular and fill quickly.

More info about Enrollment Policies and Procedures can be found at:

Prerequisite info: A student who does not meet the prerequisite for a class or is unable to enroll in an open class in SURF must contact Admissions or a counselor.

To determine if my course will count as a high school course, contact Admissions or a Counselor at MiraCosta AND at the high school.

The maximum number of enrollments, including withdrawals (W’s), for regular courses will be limited to THREE. Please plan carefully.

Math courses cannot generally be repeated once the student receives a grade equivalent to a “C” or better. Students who receive a grade of D, F, NP or W, may repeat up to two times (a total of three enrollments). In the case of D, F, and NP grades, if a subsequent grade (other than W or MW or I) is received, the first grade will be bracketed and does not count in the grade point average. A student may have a substandard grade bracketed in this manner up to two times.

Students who have not successfully completed a course in the above scenarios, may petition for an additional repetition. The student must provide documentation to prove that there were extenuating circumstances beyond their control which resulted in the unsuccessful completion of the class in question. Students may also petition for an additional repetition (even after successful completion) if the course has a recency requirement and that there has been a significant lapse of time since the previous enrollment. The student must submit the petition to the Committee on Exceptions (documentation is required) and allow ample time for review prior to enrollment. Only one petition per course for extenuating circumstances OR significant lapse of time may be approved.