US FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) is an organization to further science/technology interests in students. It was founded by Dean Kamen; the inventor of the Segway. FIRST focuses on teamwork and "gracious professionalism."
Types of programs
- FRC (FIRST Robotics Challenge) - high school students build and program a 5 foot tall, 100+ pound robot
- FTC (FIRST Tech Challenge) - high school students build and program a smaller robot with much complexity
- FLL (FIRST Lego League) - elementary and middle school students build and program a lego robot
- NYC FIRST STEM CENTERS - Makerspaces embedded into the community that offer
FIRST has an emphasis on working as a team and with adult mentors who work in fields including:
- many others depending on the team