Disclaimer: This material is presented to ensure timely dissemination of scholarly and technical work. Copyright and all rights therein are retained by authors or by other copyright holders. All persons copying this information are expected to adhere to the terms and constraints invoked by each author's copyright. In most cases, these works may not be reposted without the explicit permission of the copyright holder.
Publications are organized by topics. In addition, the following technologies have separate pages:
See also: DRDC publications, uOttawa ViSTER Portal, NRC publications. Many publications are also archived at Research Gate.
Automated Border Control
- Dmitry O. Gorodnichy, From trusted traveller kiosks to e-border systems, Global Conference on the Future of Border Checks (FoBC), Frontex, Warsaw, June 2015. Online: http://btn.frontex.europa.eu/events/global-conference-future-border-checks-2015
- Dmitry O. Gorodnichy, ART in ABC: Analysis of Risks and Trends in Automated Border Control, Final Report. 166 pages. Technical Report DRDC-RDDC-2016-C324. Online: http://cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc256/p804885_A1b.pdf
- Dmitry O. Gorodnichy, ART in ABC: Analysis of Risks and Trends in Automated Border Control. Executive Summary, 31 pages. Technical Report DRDC-RDDC-2016-C143D. Online: http://cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc229/p803869_A1b.pdf
- Shawn C. Eastwood, V. P. Shmerko, S. N. Yanushkevich, M. Drahansky, and D. O. Gorodnichy, Biometric-Enabled Authentication Machines: A Survey of Open-Set Real-World Applications, IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON HUMAN-MACHINE SYSTEMS, 2015.
- D.O. Gorodnichy, S.N. Yanushkevich, V.P. and Shmerko, Automated Border Control: Problem Formalization , IEEE Symp. Comput. Intelligence in Biometrics and Identity Management (SSCI CIBIM), December 2014. Also published as Technical Report DRDC-RDDC-2015-C057. Online: http://cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc203/p801324_A1b.pdf
- Dmitry Gorodnichy, V. Shmerko, S. Yanushkevich, "Automated Border Control systems as part of e-border crossing process". Proc. of NIST International Biometrics Performance Conference, IBPC 2014, April 1-4, 2014, Gaithersburg, MD
Face Recognition in Video
- Dmitry O Gorodnichy, David Bissessar, Eric Granger, Robert Laganiére Recognizing people and their activities in surveillance video: technology state of readiness and roadmap , Canadian Image Processing and Pattern Recognition Society (CIPPRS), 13th Conference on Computer and Robot Vision (CRV), Victoria, May 31 - June 3, 2016 (Indexed by IEEExlore)
- Dmitry Gorodnichy and Eric Granger, Target-based evaluation of face recognition technology for video surveillance applications , Proc. of IEEE SSCI CIBIM 2014 workshop, Orlando, December 2014.
- Dmitry Gorodnichy and Eric Granger “ PROVE-IT(FRiV): framework and results ”. NIST International Biometrics Performance Conference (IBPC 2014), Gaithersburg, MD, April 1-4, 2014. Online: http://www.nist.gov/itl/iad/ig/ibpc2014.cfm.
- Dmitry Gorodnichy and Eric Granger, “Evaluation of Face Recognition for Video Surveillance ”. NIST International Biometric Performance Conference (IBPC 2012), Gaithersburg, March 5-9, 2012. Online: http://www.nist.gov/itl/iad/ig/ibpc2012.cfm.
- D. Gorodnichy, E.Granger, and P. Radtke, “Survey of commercial technologies for face recognition in video ”, Technical Report DRDC-RDDC-2014-C245. Online: http://cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc159/p800510_A1b.pdf
- E. Granger, P. Radtke, and D. Gorodnichy, “Survey of academic research and prototypes for face recognition in video ”, Technical Report DRDC-RDDC-2014-C246. Online: http://cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc167/p800522.pdf
- E. Granger and D. Gorodnichy, “Evaluation methodology for face recognition technology in video surveillance applications”, Technical Report DRDC-RDDC-2014-C249. Online: http://cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc167/p800519_A1b.pdf
- E. Granger, D. Gorodnichy, E. Choy,W. Khreich, P. Radtke, J.-P. Bergeron, and D. Bissessar, “Results from evaluation of three commercial off-the-shelf face recognition systems on Chokepoint dataset”, Technical Report DRDC-RDDC-2014-C247. Online: http://cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc167/p800520_A1b.pdf
- E. Neves, S. Matwin, D. Gorodnichy, and E. Granger, “Evaluation of different features for face recognition in video”, Technical Report DRDC-RDDC-2014-C250. Online: http://cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc159/p800512_A1b.pdf
- D. Gorodnichy, E. Granger, S. Matwin, and E. Neves, “3D face generation tool Candide for better face matching in surveillance video”, Technical Report DRDC-RDDC-2014-C168. Online: http://cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc157/p800401_A1b.pdf
- S. Matwin, D. Gorodnichy, and E. Granger, “Using smooth ROC method for evaluation and decision making in biometric systems”, Technical Report DRDC-RDDC-2014-C169. Online: http://cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc157/p800406_A1b.pdf
- D. Bissessar, E. Choy, D. Gorodnichy, T. Mungham, “Face Recognition and Event Detection in Video: An Overview of PROVE-IT Projects (BIOM401 and BTS402)”, Technical Report DRDC-RDDC-2014-C167. Online: http://cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc157/p800402_A1b.pdf
Adaptive Multi-Classifier Systems for FR Across Cameras
- o De la Torre, M., Granger, E., Radtke, P. V. W., Sabourin, R. and Gorodnichy, D., ’Partially-Supervised Learning from Facial Trajectories in Adaptive Biometric Systems,’ submitted to Pattern Recognition Letters,March 2013. --
- o Pagano, C., Granger, E., Sabourin, R. and Gorodnichy, D., ’Detector Ensembles for FR in Video Surveillance,’ Int’l Joint Conf. on Neural Networks, Brisbane, Australia, June 10-15 2012.
- o De la Torre, M., Granger, E., Radtke, P. V. W., Sabourin, R. and Gorodnichy, D., ’Incremental Update of Biometric Models in Face-Based Video Surveillance,’ Int’l Joint Conf. on Neural Networks, Brisbane,Australia, June 10-15 2012. -
- o De la Torre, M., Granger, E., Radtke, P. V.W., Sabourin, R. and Gorodnichy, D., ’A Comparison of Adaptive Matchers for Screening of Faces in Video Surveillance,’ IEEE Symp. on Computational Intelligence for Security and Defence Applications, Ottawa, Canada, July 11-13 2012. -
Fusion of FR from Multiple Cameras
- o Radtke, P.V.W, Granger, E., Sabourin, R. and Gorodnichy, D., ’Skew-Sensitive Boolean Combination for Adaptive Ensembles – An Application to FR in Video Surveillance,’ submitted to Information Fusion, January 2013. --
- o Radtke, P.V.W, Granger, E., Sabourin, R. and Gorodnichy, D., ’Adaptive Ensemble Selection for Face Re-Identification Under Class Imbalance,’ 11th Int’l Workshop on Multiple Classifier Systems, Nanjing, China, May 15-17, 2013
- o Radtke, P.V.W, Granger, E., Sabourin, R. and Gorodnichy, D., ’Adaptive Selection of Ensembles for Imbalanced Class Distributions,’ 21th Int’l Conf. on Pattern Recognition, Tsukuba Science City, Japan, November 11-15, 2012.
- Image and Vision Computing Journal. Special Issue on Face Processing in Video Sequences,Volume 24, Issue 5 (May 2006). Editor: Dmitry Gorodnichy.
- Read Editorial: local copy, from NRC site. - "It is one of the best editorials for a Special Issue that we have had... It will be a very good introduction to what I believe will be an excellent SI". - Keith D. Baker, IVC Editor-in-Chief.
- Outline: 1. Video-processing phenomenon*. 2. Face processing we do*. 3. Precursory workshop. 4. State of the art: perusing the papers. 5. Implications. 6. Future trends*
- Journal Editorial: Dmitry O. Gorodnichy, Seeing faces in video by computers. Image and Video Computing, Vol. 24, No. 5 (Special Issue on Face Processing in Video Sequences, Editor: D.O. Gorodnichy), pp. 551-556, May 2006. NRC 48295 [Abstract & Pdf].
- Dmitry O. Gorodnichy, Video-based framework for face recognition in video. Second Workshop on Face Processing in Video (FPiV'05) in Proceedings of Second Canadian Conference on Computer and Robot Vision (CRV'05), pp. 330-338, Victoria, BC, Canada, 9-11 May, 2005. ISBN 0-7695-2319-6. Online: http://www.face-rec.org/algorithms/video/nrc-48216.pdf [Slides]
- D.O. Gorodnichy, Projection learning vs correlation learning: from Pavlov dogs to face recognition. AI'05 Workshop on Correlation learning, Victoria, BC, Canada, May 8-12, 2005.NRC 48209 [Abstract & Pdf] [Slides]
- Dmitry O. Gorodnichy, Associative neural networks as means for low-resolution video-based recognition. International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN'05), Montreal, Quebec, Canada, July 31-August 4, 2005. NRC 48217. [Abstract & Pdf]
- Dmitry O. Gorodnichy, Recognizing faces in video requires approaches different from those developed for face recognition in photographs, NATO IST - 044 Workshop on "Enhancing Information Systems Security through Biometrics", Ottawa, Canada, October 18-20, 2004. NRC 47149. [Abstract & Pdf] - [Slides]
- Dmitry O. Gorodnichy. Facial Recognition in Video. In Proc.of IAPR Int. Conf. on Audio- and Video-Based Biometric Person Authentication (AVBPA'03), LNCS 2688, pp. 505-514, Guildford, UK, June 9-11, 2003. NRC 47150 [Abstract & Pdf] - [Poster: pdf, photo]
- Invited Contribution: Dmitry O. Gorodnichy, “Face databases and evaluation” chapter inEncyclopedia of Biometrics (Editor: Stan Li), Planned for publication in 2009, Elsevier Publisher
- Eric Granger, Wael Khreich, Robert Sabourin, D. Gorodnichy, “Fusion of Biometric Systems Using Boolean Combination: an Application to Iris-Based Authentication”, Int. J. Data Mining and Bioinformatics, 2011.
- Dmitry O. Gorodnichy, Elan Dubrofsky, Richard Hoshino, Wael Khreich, Eric Granger, Robert Sabourin. "Exploring the upper bound performance limit of iris biometrics using score calibration and fusion ", Proceedings of IEEE SSCI Workshop on Computational Intelligence in Biometrics and Identity Management (CIBIM), April 2011, Paris
- Dmitry O. Gorodnichy. Multi-order biometric score analysis framework and its application to designing and evaluating biometric systems for access and border control. Proceedings of IEEE SSCI Workshop on Computational Intelligence in Biometrics and Identity Management (CIBIM), April 2011, Paris
- Dmitry O. Gorodnichy, Michael Thieme, Dave Bissessar, Jessica Chung, Elan Dubrofsky, Jonathon Lee "C-BET evaluation of voice biometrics . Proceedings of SPIE Defence, Security & Sensing Conference, Special Track on Biometric Technology for Human Identification VIII (DS108), Orlando, April 25-29, 2011.
- Dmitry O. Gorodnichy, Dave Bissessar, Elan Dubrofsky, Jonathon Lee. "Analyzing the performance and risks of biometrics systems using Comprehensive Biometrics Evaluation Toolkit (C-BET)" (Extended Abstract and Demo), Justice Institute of British Columbia and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Center of Excellence VACCINE Workshop on "Visual Analytics for Public Safety Professionals", September 20 -21, New Westminster, BC, 2010.
- D.O. Gorodnichy, R. Hoshino. Calibrated Confidence Scoring for Biometric Identification. In Proceedings of the NIST International Biometric Performance Conference (IBPC 2010), NIST Gaithersburg, March 2-4, 2010. Online: http://biometrics.nist.gov/cs_links/ibpc2010/pdfs/Gorodnichy2_Dmitry_Calibrated_Confidence_Scoring_for_Biometric_ID.pdf
- D.O. Gorodnichy, R. Hoshino. Score Calibration for Optimal Biometric Identification, Proceedings of Canadian Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AI 2010), 31 May – 2 June, Ottawa, 2010. Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, Springer
- Dmitry O. Gorodnichy. Multi-order analysis framework for comprehensive biometric performance evaluation , In Proceedings of SPIE Conference on Defense, Security, and Sensing. DS108: Biometric Technology for Human Identification track. Orlando, 5 - 9 April 2010.
- Dmitry O. Gorodnichy, " Evolution and evaluation of biometric systems ", Special Track on Applied Computational Intelligence in Biometrics, IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence for Security and Defence Applications (CISDA'09'), 8-10 July, 2009.
Intelligent Video Surveillance
- Dmitry Gorodnichy, Jean-Philippe Bergeron, David Bissessar, Ehren Choy, Jacque Sciandra, “Video Analytics technology: the foundations, market analysis and demonstrations", Technical Report DRDC-RDDC-2014-C251. http://cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc167/p801081_A1b.pdf
- Dmitry O. Gorodnichy, Diego Macrini, Robert Laganiere, “Video analytics evaluation: survey of datasets, performance metrics and approaches ", Technical Report DRDC-RDDC-2014-C248. Online: http://cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc167/p801081_A1b.pdf
- M. Lalonde, M. Derenne, L. Gagnon, D. Gorodnichy, “The Current State and TRL Assessment of Unattended and Left-Behind Object Detection Technology", Technical Report DRDC-RDDC-2014-C292. Online: http://cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc161/p800738_A1b.pdf
- D. Macrini, V. Khoshaein, G. Moradian, C. Whitten, D.O. Gorodnichy, R. Laganiere, “The Current State and TRL Assessment of People Tracking Technology for Video Surveillance applications", Technical Report DRDC-RDDC-2014-C293. Online: http://cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc161/p800731_A1b.pdf
- C. Whiten, R. Laganiére, E. Fazl-Ersi, F. Shi G. , Bilodeau, D. O. Gorodnichy, J. Bergeron, E. Choy, D. Bissessar . VIVA-uOttawa / CBSA at TRECVID 2012: Interactive Surveillance Event Detection. Online: http://www-nlpir.nist.gov/projects/tvpubs/tv.pubs.12.org.html
- David Bissessar and Dmitry O. Gorodnichy, Integrating LPR with CCTV systems: problems and solutions , Proceedings of SPIE 2011 Conference on Defense, Security, and Sensing, Orlando, April 21-26, 2011
- Dmitry O. Gorodnichy and Elan Dubrofsky. "Automated extraction of intelligence from video using Video Analytics Platform (VAP)". (Extended Abstract & Demo), Justice Institute of British Columbia and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Center of Excellence VACCINE Workshop on "Visual Analytics for Public Safety Professionals", September 20 -21, New Westminster, BC, 2010
- Dmitry O. Gorodnichy and Elan Dubrofsky. VAP/VAT: video analytics platform and test bed for testing and deploying video analytics . Proceedings of SPIE Conference on Defense, Security, and Sensing, DS226: Visual Analytics for Homeland Defense and Security track. 5 - 9 April 2010, Orlando [Talk]
- Dmitry O. Gorodnichy, Tony Mungham, Automated video surveillance: challenges and solutions. ACE Surveillance (Annotated Critical Evidence) case study NATO SET-125 Symposium "Sensor and Technology for Defence against Terrorism", Mainheim, April 2008.
- Dmitry O. Gorodnichy, Mohammad A. Ali, Elan Dubrofsky, Kris Woodbeck. Zoom on Evidence with the ACE Surveillance . International Workshop on Video Processing and Recognition (VideoRec’07). May 28-30, 2007. Montreal , QC , Canada . NRC 49349 - [Pdf and Poster]
- Dmitry O. Gorodnichy, ACE Surveillance: The Next Generation Surveillance for Long-Term Monitoring and Activity Summarization. First International Workshop on Video Processing for Security (VP4S-06), June 7-9, Quebec City, Canada. [Pdf] [Poster]
- Dmitry O. Gorodnichy. Associative Tracking and Recognition in Video. International Workshop on Video Processing for Security (VP4S-06), Québec City, Québec, Canada, June 7-9, 2006., 2006 NRC 48494. [Abstract & Pdf]
- Dmitry O. Gorodnichy and Arjun Yogeswaran. Detection and tracking of pianist hands and fingers . In Proc. of the Canadian conference Computer & Robot Vision (CRV'06), Quebec, Canada, June 7-9, 2006.
- Gorodnichy, D., Yogeswaran, A., and Comeau, G. C-MIDI stands for MIDI that "sees" the notes. Video recognition of pianist hands and fingers. Toronto-Montreal Computer Vision Workshop. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. May 29-30, 2006. NRC 48786. [Abstract & Pdf]
- Dmitry O. Gorodnichy and Gilles Bessens. From recognition in brain to recognition in perceptual vision systems. Case study: identifying computer users with low-resolution webcams. Poster at CVR'05 Conference on Computational Vision in Neural and Machine Systems. York University, Toronto, June 15-18, 2005. NRC 48208 [Abstract & Pdf] [Slides]
- Dmitry O. Gorodnichy. Second order change detection, and its application to blink-controlled perceptual interfaces. In Proc. IASTED Conf. on Visualization, Imaging and Image Processing (VIIP 2003), pp. 140-145, Benalmadena, Spain, Sept. 8-10, 2003. NRC 47151 [Abstract & Pdf] [Slides]
Oleksiy K. Dekhtyarenko and Dmitry O. Gorodnichy, High Performance Associative Neural Networks: Overview and Library. Canadian Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AI'06), Quebec City, Canada, July 7-9, 2006. NRC 48492.[Abstract and Pdf] [Library]
- D. O. Gorodnichy, W. W. Armstrong, X. Li Adaptive logic networks for facial feature detection. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol 1311, Springer Verlag, 1997, pp. 332-339. Proc. of 9th Intern. Conf. on Image Analysis and Processing, ICIAP'97, Florence, Italy, Sept. 1997.
- D.O. Gorodnichy, W.W. Armstrong, A Parametrical Alternative for Grids in Occupancy Based World Modeling, Proc. Quality Control by Arti.cial Vision Conference (QCAV'99), Trois Rivieres, Canada, May 18-21, 1999, pp 125 - 132.
- W.W. Armstrong, B. Coghlan, D.O. Gorodnichy, Reinforcement learning for autonomous robot navigation, Proc. Int'l Joint Conf. on Neural Networks (IJCNN'99), Washington DC, July 21-23, 1999
- W. W. Armstrong, D. O. Gorodnichy, Breaking Hyperplanes to .fit Data with Applications to 3D World Modeling and Oil Sand Data Analysis, Proc. ICSC Symposium on Neural Computation, NC 2000, Berlin, May 23 - 26, 2000, CD-ROM, publ. by ICSC Academic Press, Int'l Comp. Sci. Conv., Canada/Switzerland ISBN 3-906454-21-5
- Dmitry O. Gorodnichy, W. W. Armstrong, Neurocomputational Approach for Modeling Large Scale Environments from Range Data, ibid.