Hong Kong DNA Barcoding
The Hong Kong DNA Barcode Project is a citizen science program in Hong Kong. Just like the unique pattern of bars on the products in supermarket, a DNA barcode is a DNA sequence that uniquely identifies each species of living thing.
The Hong Kong DNA Barcode Project aims to engage general public using DNA technology to explore biodiversity in Hong Kong.
Projects can use DNA barcodes to examine any aspect of the environment, such as:
- Sampling biodiversity in a park, garden, office, or school;
- Checking for invasive plant or animal species;
- Monitoring disease vectors;
- Identifying exotic or endangered food products in markets; and
- Detecting food mislabeling.