Most shakuhachi players love the tradition and enchanting sound of bamboo. However, bamboo can be very temperamental if not taken care of properly. David's hardwood shakuhachi have excellent tuning and the sound is pure, clear and bright. And best of all, no worries at all about cracking! David is famed for his wonderful wooden shakuhachi that have received the highest praise throughout Japan from masters such as Katsuya Yokoyama, Tadashi Tadjima and Hozan Yamamoto. His flutes are famous for their reliability, precision, ruggedness, and absolute beauty. Each shakuhachi is created out of unique hardwoods, not only from Australia, but around the world. David has also designed many hybrid flutes, including seven-holed flutes, with which he plays new contemporary and experimental repertoire, and a seven-holed D Major shakuhachi for playing Celtic music.
There are no discount student flutes; all of David's shakuhachi are beautifully finished and perform to a full professional concert standard.
Prices will vary depending on specifications, e.g. size, type of wood, etc.
Contact us to discuss specifications and orders, or tuition in playing shakuhachi.
Included Care Pack:
* 1x pull-through cloth
* 1x hand-made carry bag
* 1x protective mouthpiece cap
- Flutes are made to specific lengths including: 1.3, 1.4, 1.6, 1.8, 1.9, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, and 3.1 shaku.
- The blowing edge can be white or black, Tozan Ryu or Kinko Ryu.
- The mouthpiece is the same with every flute, irrespective of length, so each flute feels the same. This is important if you own a few of different lengths.
- The utaguchi (mouthpice) inlay, is traditionally made with either ivory or buffalo horn. We will not use ivory on principle. Buffalo horn can be used. When shaved back and lacquered it has the same look and quality as black acrylic plastic, which is what David normally uses. White acrylic plastic can be used to obtain the same look as ivory.
- The centre joint is done in rattan. For special orders, this can be done in silver, silver and rattan, or silver and polished plum bark.