On Christmas Eve, 1885, a group of 10 men met and organized the Gypsum City Town Company which was recognized by the state as Gypsum City in April, 1886. The town was located where the Missouri Pacific entered the valley from the highlands on the east and where it diverged to the north, also because of the large amount of country it could command on the south and southwest, it was felt it would make a good large town. The town was incorporated on April 11, 1887. It has survived these 129 years through fire and floods to become known today as, "Gypsum the little town in the valley."
Gypsum High School in 1912