Grandpap Quinn

This page is a bit of a history of Judy's dad, Wayne Quinn.

Wayne Quinn - our Grandpap.

Wayne was born in 1911, and died in June of 1998. He was 87.

We had the good fortune to have him as part of our household on two different occasions, and we all came to know and love him.

Wayne told stories all the time -- he would get that smile on his face as above, and tell us about growing up on the farm, the log cabin, the first car, taking the horses to town, meeting his first wife Glendora, and on and on. So here's a few of his stories, and some of his pictures.

Buster's Garage

One of Pap's tales was of working in Buster's Garage in McGregor, MN. This has to have been when he was around 15 or 16 -- so 1925. Cars were pretty new to folk, and many a farmer bought one without having any idea how to drive the thing. This one farmer had been practicing with his new Chevy in the field, when he ran into a stump and seriously bent the front axle. He brought the car to Buster. "Can you fix it?", he asks. "Oh, I think we can do that, but it may take a week or so", replies Buster. The farmer leaves the car, and Buster tells Wayne, "Hook the chain up to that axle and to that pole there". So Wayne does that, and Buster tells him to give her the gas, backwards. The car lurches back, the chain straightens and BANG, the axle bends back a bit. Buster checks it out, and tells Wayne -- "Give her another shot". So Wayne backs her up and smacks it again. "That oughta do it", says Buster. The farmer came in a week later. Buster tells him, "It was a lot of work, but we got her straightened out".

Hunting With Neal Peppin

Wayne and Neil Peppin hunting

Pap loved to hunt, but in those times, hunting was also a way to put meat on the table. Pap would tell the story of baiting fish hooks with kernels of corn, and then putting them out into the corn field where the geese would come to feed. He and his brother George would lie behind a hay pile and wait for a geese to swallow a fish hook. Then they would reel them in -- fishing for geese.

When they went fishing, they were pretty creative also. Pap would take the boat out on the pond near their home and drop a short stick of dynamite down a pipe. The explosion would stun a bunch of fish, and they would take them home for dinner. I don't believe any of that was a legal way to take game, but those were different times, and meat and fish were hard to come by on the farm. Sport hunting and fishing had not come into their current popularity.

Glendora Quinn

Glendora was Wayne's first wife, and Judy's mom. Wayne and Glendora were married after the depression. Wayne was in Aitken, MN, I believe, walking by the hospital, and there was this lovely young lady looking out the second floor window of the hospital. He called up to her, "Would you like some ice cream". She boldly replied to this stranger, "Yes". Well, he went and got them some ice cream, and they courted and married. Glendora was a school teacher in a one room school house. Wayne had not finished 8th grade, and she spent some time polishing him up for his eventual job as Supervisor of Greyhound Midwest.

Pap had always wanted to drive a Greyhound, and he got his wish in the early 40's. He worked his way up to dispatcher and then district supervisor. Pap used to tell a story of how he pulled the bus into one small northern Minnesota town, and when the police chief met him at the edge of town, he told him that Lawrence Welk was playing at the dance hall that night. Wayne turned to the passengers and asked who would like to do dance to Lawrence Welk for an hour. They all agreed, and off they went in the big Greyhound.

The other photo is Glendora with Nathan, her grandson. She was a marvelous grandma to our kids.

Judy and her Dad

Wayne and Glendora had some problems having children, so they decided to adopt. Their first child was a beautiful little angel named Judy. Here she is with the proud papa. They adopted 2 more children, Bill and Tom. Both are deceased -- Tom died in Vietnam, and Bill at a young age from pancreatic cancer.

Judy was always the princess, this beautiful little girl that was so amazingly given to them. They loved her dearly, and she could do no wrong. She never had to eat the fatty part of the meat, or drink the milk with the cream. Her "Dad" loved her beyond belief.

Glendora with Judy and Bill

Judy says that she always felt that she was dearly loved. Wayne and Glendora thought that they were blessed with their children. The kids had a great sense of their own value.

Wayne and Irene Quinn

Pap came to live with us when Glendora died -- after caring for her through a long, long illness.

Pap met Irene at a friend's house, and shortly thereafter proposed. He was a mere 74, and she a very young 62. They had some wonderful years of love and friendship. Pap was stricken with Alzheimer's, and then cancer. He came back to live with us his final year, and we had the pleasure of his company, when he needed us. He was always a very gracious man, a true gentleman's gentleman. He died here at home in June 1998.

But he left us Irene - and we had a wonderful relationship with Great Grandma for many, many years. Our Grandkids loved her. She was a part of our family for many years. We miss them both - it is what life is about - creating those loving relationships that carry you forward with meaning and purpose.