Have you ever walked past the War Memorial Hall in Tudor Road and wondered about the origins of this pre-cast concrete building with its curved roof? A Memorial Hall scheme had been launched at a public meeting in 1946, a committee was formed and by the end of that year £1,548 had been raised. The place chosen was on the site of an old coach house on land rented from the Council. Originally it was to be a joint venue with the British Legion but when land became available for their own building they withdrew although they were still willing to give their support to the Committee.


Fund raising included collections in shops and house to house, loans and donations and a production by the Broadstone Players. By 1955 it had risen to nearly £4,000 plus a grant of £2,200 from the Ministry of Education and a loan from the National Council of Social Services. The original plan was costed at over £9,000 but besides not having that much money building regulations at the time limited the amount which could be spent. After four alternative plans had been rejected the Committee viewed the hall at Fordingbridge and an order for a similar building was placed with the Reema Construction Company Ltd of Salisbury consisting of a hall together with cloakrooms, kitchen, cinema projection box, stage and dressing rooms at a cost of £5,000. Work began in January 1957. Running expenses were estimated to be £45 per year. Site clearance was done by H J Palmer Ltd. Trustees were to be Dr J C A Norman, Mr R Hann, Major R Neille-Jones and Mr S J W Smith. The design was not unique, besides Fordingbridge variations can be found in other villages in the area including Witchampton, West Parley, Verwood and Combe Bissett near Salisbury.




On 31 June 1957 a Committee Meeting was held for the first time in the new Hall.  The official opening was on 10 August 1957.  A procession formed in the British Legion and, accompanied by a hymn, proceeded to the platform, where Chairman Dr J C A Norman made the introductory remarks and W W Llewelyn declared the Hall open.  A memorial plaque to the war dead was unveiled by the Mayor of Poole and the ceremony was followed by a dance.

To celebrate the Queen’s Silver Jubilee in 1977 a room was added on to the side.

The Hall  still has trustees and is run by a Management Committee.  Four times a year the users’ representatives meet.  It is well used and plays an important role in Broadstone life.

front view