Computer Reach has used MacOS classic and MacOSX
exclusively for our first 10 years of operation.
In October 2012, we will deploy our first major GNU/Linux release with Edubuntu 10.4 in Ghana.
- Used computers are acquired at low cost to Computer Reach.
- Every Apple and PC, are refurbished by Computer Reach volunteers.
- Once the hardware is cleaned, verified, and built to base-line specification (PC P4 2.1GHz or higher, 512RAM, 40GB HD, Apple G3400 mhz PPC or higher, 512RAM, 20GB HD), it is imaged with a network install.
- Each system is click-tested, asset tagged, and warehoused awaiting deployment.
- Potential recipient sites are identified and vetted on an ongoing basis.
- When a site is selected, hardware appropriate for the deployment is packed and shipped by Computer Reach volunteers.
- Transportation and shipping arrangements are made.
- Travel, arrive and verify receipt of computers.
- Deliver systems to site and deploy network.
- Train responsible adults at the site on self-support.
- Follow-up from Computer Reach HQ in Pittsburgh, PA USA.
- Rinse and Repeat!