Amateur and Semi-Professional Choirs
Amateur and Semi-Professional Choirs
(note: find additional Bay Area choruses listed at: Choruses of Northern California)
- AfterGlow Chorus, firstname.lastname@example.org, (Oakland): New, select, auditioned 24-voice chamber choir based in Oakland focused on performing beautiful choral works with the highest, possible level of musicianship. Musical genres performed by the chorus include Baroque, Classical, Romantic, 20th Century, 21st Century, pop, rock, R&B, and jazz. Both a cappella (traditional and contemporary) works as well as accompanied pieces are performed.
- Bay Area Showcase Choir , email@example.com, (408) 973-1555: The San Jose Bay Area Showcase Chorus (directed by Julie Starr) is a vibrant, award-winning ensemble of women singers committed to creating musical magic in every performance. We embrace healthy competition and enjoy finding creative ways to share our passion for 4-part harmony in the barbershop style. We are dedicated to continuous improvement in a joyful environment of mutual respect, friendship, and fun.
- Bay Choral Guild, firstname.lastname@example.org, (650) 799-2281, (Palo Alto): A 40-voice, auditioned chorus based in Palo Alto with singers from around the Bay Area. BCG's outstanding musical ensemble and rich repertoire are the foundation for innovative programs that bring works together in new and unusual ways. In addition to well-known choral masterpieces, our concerts regularly include works by less familiar composers, works commissioned by BCG, and premieres of works by contemporary American and San Francisco Bay Area composers, including Sanford Dole, our Artistic Director.
- California Bach Society, email@example.com, 650-485-1097 (Palo Alto): The California Bach Society, a 30-voice chamber chorus under the direction of Paul Flight, performs Renaissance and Baroque music in San Francisco, Palo Alto, and Berkeley, often accompanied by an orchestra of period instruments (or Baroque orchestra). In 2018 we were awarded "Best Choral Group” and “Best Early Music/Baroque Ensemble" by San Francisco Classical Voice. Historically informed performances have included J.S. Bach’s St. Matthew Passion (see excerpts on our YouTube channel), St. John Passion, Mass in B Minor, and several cantatas; music by Schütz, Handel, Haydn, Mozart, and Monteverdi; works by forgotten Baroque composers such as Zelenka, Croce, Biber, Rosenmüller, and Schelle; as well as masterpieces by later composers such as Brahms, Rachmaninoff (All-Night Vigil), Vaughan Williams, and Howells.
- Berkeley Community Chamber Singers (a sub-group of the Berkeley Community Chorus and Orchestra) [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
- Chancel Choir of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Berkeley [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
- The Choral Project, Founded in 1996 by Artistic Director Daniel Hughes, The Choral Project has performed throughout Northern California, Washington, D.C., Mexico, Costa Rica and most recently Scotland, England and Wales where they won 2nd Place in Mixed Choral Competition at the International Eisteddfod in Llangollen, Wales. The ensemble has recorded four compact discs, most recently completing a critically-acclaimed recording entitled "Water & Light," featuring the music of Eric Whitacre as well as selections by Lauridsen, Clausen, Tavener and others. [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
- Chromatica is an accompanied, classical SATB choir located in the East Bay led by director, David Huff. Our repertoire includes works by contemporary as well as classical composers, with choral music from the familiar to world premieres. Our mission is to inspire, entertain and engage audiences by sharing our love of singing. We rehearse Monday evenings with concert performances in the Fall and in the Spring. Experienced new singers welcome!
- Contra Costa Chorale [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
- Foothill College Concert Choir (Rafael Ornes, (415) 949-7010) - open to public [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
- Choir at the Golden Gate Center For Spiritual Living, Corte Madera.firstname.lastname@example.org. [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
- Golden Gate Men's Chorus, San Francisco (415-668-GGMC) singing a capella about 65% of the time; otherwise accompanied by everything from piano to African percussion. A gay chorus (although heterosexuals are welcome) with 40 male voices ranging from bass to soprano. Traditionally, they have sung mostly Western classical music from medieval to contemporary. Since their director Joseph Jennings (who also directs Chanticleer) joined them in 1996, they have also begun to do more popular and gospel music. Usually three concert seasons a year. [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
- Marin A-cappella Singers (MAS), Sausalito on Monday nights 7-9, and Mill Valley on Wednesdays Afternoons 12-3. email@example.com. [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
- Mission Peak Chamber Singers, Fremont. Sing with the Mission Peak Chamber Singers, Ofer dal Lal Artistic Director. Contemporary, Classical, Secular and Sacred music. Rehearsals Tuesday 7:30-9:30PM, Irvington Presbyterian Church, Fremont. Tenors & Basses needed! (Altos & Sopranos welcome too!). email: firstname.lastname@example.org phone: 510-356-MPCS (6727)
- Pacific Mozart Ensemble, Berkeley (Kathie Longinotti, 510-528-2959, 40 voices) serves the communities of Alameda and San Francisco Counties. The ensemble presents a wide range of choral musical styles, including, but not limited to, traditional choral literature, new works by contemporary composers and a cappella jazz and pop. They perform for local audiences and collaborate often with local performing arts groups and composers. [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
- Pacific Empire Chorus - Sweet Adeline group [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
- Peninsula Women's Chorus, (650) 327-3095 [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
- Resounding Achord, email@example.com, (888) 642-6776 (San Jose): Resounding Achord is a 45-singer community choir of semi-professional quality singers based out of San Jose. Kristina Nakagawa (firstname.lastname@example.org) is the Artistic Director. Our mission, "Building Community Through Song," extends our reach beyond singers and audience members. We often raise funds for student singing scholarships and local nonprofit groups that support underprivileged people in our community. We also hold activities, such as our Summer Choral Conducting Lab, that are open all singers.
- Ro Sham Bo has been entertaining Bay Area audiences for more than 15 years. This Oakland based group of three men and three women specializes in original arrangements of Jazz tunes with a Latin, funk and R&B twist. Ro Sham Bo can be reached at email@example.com. [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
- Sacred & Profane, Oakland (music of all ages and lands) [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
- San Francisco Bach Choir (firstname.lastname@example.org, 855-473-2224 toll-free) An auditioned volunteer choir providing the Bay Area with exceptional concerts focused particularly on the music of J.S. Bach, his contemporaries, and predecessors, and on rarely heard music of the Renaissance and Baroque. Founded in 1937, it is the oldest continually performing community choir in the western United States. The Choir uses a historically informed approach, period instruments and professional instrumentalists and soloists.
- San Francisco Choral Artists, conducted by Magen Solomon, is a 22-voice chamber chorus that sings mostly a cappella, mostly classical music from Renaissance to contemporary times. We work closely with Bay Area composers and feature world premieres at almost every concert. email@example.com, 415-979-5779 [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
- San Francisco Lyric Chorus, conducted by Robert Gurney, 415-775-5111, 50-voice auditioned, mixed chorus performing both (mostly) classical choral works of all periods (mostly Romantic & modern), both a cappella and accompanied. [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
- San Jose Peace Chorale, Spreading the message of peace and justice through song [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
- Santa Clara Chorale [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
- Saringhimig Singers is located at 540 Urbano Drive, San Francisco, 94127. [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
- Schola Cantorum, Mountain View [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
- Soli Deo Gloria (firstname.lastname@example.org) [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
- Sunnyvale Singers [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
- Symphony Silicon Valley Chorale Campbell. 70 mixed voice auditioned choir in residence for Symphony Silicon Valley. Elena Sharkova, Musical Director
- Viva la Musica!, Foster City, 50 voice, mixed choir specializing in classical and multicultural music. Contact Shulamit Hoffmann, Director email@example.com, (650) 349-9918 [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
- Voci, Berkeley -- Women's group that performs all kinds of music. [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
- Vocal InFusion, 408-374-5228, P.O. Box 32346, San Jose, CA, 95152. We are a women's chorus based in the South Bay. We sing a wide variety of both acappella and accompanied works. email is firstname.lastname@example.org [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
- VOCI Women's Vocal Ensemble, VOCI rehearses Wednesday evenings from 7:30 to 10 PM in Orinda. Founded in 1991, recognized as one of the finest choral groups in the Bay Area. VOCI champions music by women and for women, from all parts of the world and every century. email@example.com [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
- Voices: Bay Area Lesbian Choral Ensemble [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
- Westwind Voices, Oakland (folk/world music) [2/26/12: Needs confirmation]
Not listed here? Want to add or update a listing? Please sign up to edit. Entries should each be less than 80 words. Sorry, no pictures.