6th, 7th, & 8th Grade Visual Art
Welcome to Art Class
It has been an honor to teach Visual Art here at Westchester Middle School for many years. I have witnessed and enjoyed many creative works of art and achievements from our students. Students applying skills learned have grown over the three-year art program. As students chart their day through a multi-subject curriculum, Art complements, integrates, and includes individual learning styles during the core of their middle school development. Lessons are continually developed through the Illinois State and the National Art Education Standards.
Among our students' creative efforts and participation, they have achieved the following recognition over the years:
- Youth Art Month Poster Contest winning the Middle School Division sponsored by the Illinois State Board of Education, the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum, and the Illinois Art Education Association
- Westchester Lions Club International Peace Poster Contests
- Young at Art regional junior high school art contest sponsored by the La Grange Art League
- Meemic Foundation Poster Art Contest displayed at their corporate headquarters
- Metra Poster Art Contest winners
- National Junior Duck Stamp Contest sponsored by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- Barsclay, Cary, and Alstadt Architecture firm, Greeting Card Contest
- Triton College Summer Architecture, Photography, and Mixed Media Camp Scholarships for middle school students
- Annual WMS Art Exhibit. Award recognition in the following categories: Pencil, Marker, Pastel, Watercolor, Tempera, Mixed Media, Ceramics, Sculpture, Digital Art, Photography
- Fine Arts Fest Art Exhibits, Student Demos, and Art Logo Contest
- Literacy Night Art Poster Contest
- Set Design painters for various Musicals and Musical Posters
- Art Club participation
- Artwork created for various Yearbooks
- Camp Timberlee, Springfield, and Washington D.C. field trip covers
- Plaster hand cast sign language exhibit for students, LaGrange area school
- Art Murals
- Village Hall Art Exhibit
- Westchester Library Art Exhibits
The WPTO has provided outstanding support of our Art Appreciation Program. Under the direction of Mrs. Beverly Rimpila, students learn how to dialogue with others about Art, Artists, and the times that they were created. Parents have volunteered and participated in class and Fine Arts Fest art demos, field trips, and the setting up of the Art hallways at the Fine Arts Fest.
Art is for everyone. I am always in support of helping your child reach their utmost potential. I look forward to partnering with you during the 2020-2021 school year.
Mrs. Demakis, M.A.
WMS Art Teacher
email@example.com(708) 498-0505 Ext. 1223