Welcome to the Elementary School Counseling website for Anza Trail School! As you browse through my pages you will find information about my classroom guidance lessons, small groups, PBIS, resources for parents, and how to contact me.
Helping your Child with School Anxiety
Welcome to another fabulous school year at Anza Trail! While the beginning of the school year is an exciting time for many, it can be a time that causes stress in many students as well. Here are some tips to help your nervous child get in the groove of coming to school.
· Listen to them and validate their feelings. Let your child know that you hear them and it is ok to be worried.
· Draw on past experiences. Help your child remember times when they had positive experiences going to school or when they overcame nervous feelings in the past.
· Allow them to bring a small comfort object to school, such as a family photo or a “lucky” necklace.
· Prepare the night before. Help your child pick out their outfit, get their lunch ready, and have their shoes and backpack ready by the door.
· Create a morning mantra. Pick a positive phrase your child can say each day such as “I’ve got this!” or “I’m going to have a great day!"
· Make mornings fun! Play upbeat music while getting ready or perhaps put a favorite TV show on in the background.
Have a wonderful 19/20 school year! You’ve got this!
Mrs. Romero (K-5)