The mission of the Durham Community School Library is to make the Library an integral part of school instruction and curriculum by providing diverse learning experiences, resources, and activities that contribute to the creation of lifelong learners.
K-4 Chickadee Book Award Program
In Library we are currently reading the Chickadee Award Nominees for 2018.
- The Chickadee Award is a picture book award program for children in kindergarten through fourth grade.
- The award is given annually to one of ten picture books nominated by a committee of teachers, librarians, and early literacy professionals.
- Each year the books are chosen from those published in the previous year and are selected because they present a solid original story and artwork that supports and extends the text.
- All children who participate in the program will have the opportunity to vote for their favorite book.
- Each year, the winning title will be announced in April, a week after voting concludes, on http://www.chickadeeaward.org. The results will also be posted on the Maine Library Association's listserv ME-LIBS and announced at Reading Roundup.
- Previous winners include the “Circus Ship” by Chris Van Dusen and “Interrupting Chicken” by Davis Ezra Stein among many others. For more information visit: http://www.chickadeeaward.org/