REACH = Rural Educational Alternative Community High School
The REACH School is a non-profit alternative program serving students in grades 7-12 in communities in the midcoast area of Maine surrounding Bucksport.
REACH School, Inc. is:
1. A private non-profit alternative middle/high program designed to meet the needs of those students who struggle to find success in a traditional program.
2. A school where all students who graduate receive a Bucksport High School diploma.
3. A school where all students may participate in any and all extracurricular Bucksport High School programs.
4. A school where all students are expected to take responsibility for their education, social and emotional growth, and progress towards their goals.
5. A school that accepts and encourages individuality.
6. A school that fosters cooperation between students, family, school, and the community.
Factors that have been identified as important to the success of REACH School.
1. Autonomy - REACH is privately run by a board of directors in collaboration with the local schools.
2. Physical location - REACH is located away from Bucksport Schools allowing for a separate identity.
3. Authoritarian/democratic atmosphere - The teachers are in charge. If students abide by the rules the REACH has a relaxed atmosphere.
4. Dedicated/talented staff - Staff are here because they enjoy working with students and want to help them succeed.
5. Respect - Respect is expected and given in all relationships between teachers, students, parents, and the community.
6. Community service - We believe people can not grow without giving of themselves.
7. Faith - The local school department and community believe in our mission.
8. Desire to attend - No one is sent to REACH. Students choose to attend.