REDUCTION IN THE PUBLISHED ADMISSIONS NUMBER (PAN)
From September 2020 the College intends to reduce the Published Admissions Number (PAN) to 160 pupils in Year 7. The rationale for the reduction of numbers includes the creation of a Sixth Form, which forms part of this overall proposal.
Platanos has operated with a roll of 180 pupils per year group, this has risen over time. In 2018, the intake was 210 in year 7. This will be unsustainable if a Sixth Form is opened.
Having already consulted on our admissions policy and on the proposed reduction in our Year 7 admissions number between 29th November 2018 and 31st January 2019, we intend to adopt our proposed admissions changes for September 2020.
By implementing these changes, it will allow us to:
- Be consistent with the intake of other Lambeth schools, as the intakes range from 125-180 in each year group. The proposed figure of 160 sits in-line with these figures.
- Become a centre for initial teacher training in the future.
- Better engage with the local community. The reduction in numbers will allows us to look at larger scale projects and use staff to work on building these relationships.
- Continue to raise standards in a smaller context, including:
- Building the skills of the pupils across the curriculum and focusing on the holistic development of the child.
- Better able to offer our Business & Enterprise specialisms from 11-19+, with a number of 160 in each year group this would give us the capacity to do so.
- Improve the level of pastoral care and continue to nurture the more challenging pupils.
- Continue to be outstanding and move to beyond outstanding by layering the curriculum further with additional music, the arts and drama.
- Develop the pupils’ range of skills offering individuals a wider range of development. Streaming from KS3 will become easier and allow pupils to move from one pathway to another, including the possibility of blending pathways.