Fabulous 5th Graders of
On The Calendar:
11/1/18 - Minimum Day
11/2/18 - No School
11/9/18 - Minimum Day (Grades 4 & 5)
11/12/18 - No School
11/13/18 - 11/15/18 - Minimum Days
11/19/18 - 11/23/18 - Thanksgiving Break
I am BACK UP AND RUNNING!!! I sent my teenagers, nay 'Tech Support', to college and have been lost ever since! I have been trying to edit this doc for us to no avail. This weekend, I struck gold!
So- First, an update:
- our 5th Graders did a wonderful job working through their Region Reports and displays! We ran short on time and needed to get our Explorer Unit underway so the two overlapped a bit. Their Oral Reports are SO WONDERFUL to experience - their bravery, poise, and the depth of knowledge they were able to obtain in just a few weeks is impressive! I am very proud of them!
- This week will be speckled again with assessments. I am trying to space them out and give us brain breaks. Again, CHAMPS- ALL OF THEM!
- Figurative Language the past 2 weeks has been very fun! We have played with words and analyzed text and even constructed some pop art! We are excited for you to see it at conferences!
- Speaking of- please sign up at the link below or shoot me an email and let me know a better day/time.
- Personal Narratives have been taking the form of paper plates and other materials. It is fun to come up with different ways, places and purposes for writing!
We hope to see you at our Halloween Parade on Wednesday at 9:30 AM. Please review the Weekly RoadRunner for the map, schedule, and expectations. Let me know if you have any questions.
The past 2 weeks have been filled with more ‘getting to know you’, assessments, community building, and settling in to the curriculum.
We are learning how to READ with the intention of writing ABOUT our reading. Your 5th grader is reading and writing and sharing and going back to revise and reflect and they ALL are doing GREAT work!
With the 1st half of Math Module 1 out of the way, we can all breathe a sigh of relief - that section was a very bumpy start to the year and I’m excited for things to really start flowing. This week, we will begin learning Math in smaller groups with the instruction more targeted to your 5th grader’s needs. I am EXCITED for their learning and success!
We begin our Social Studies Native American Regions Reports this coming week. This is a lot of fun exploring, researching, getting creative, presenting, and sharing our learning. I can’t wait to see what they come up with!
Grammar, Vocab, & Root Words: we have settled into a great routine and are now moving through the content smoothly and quickly. I’m happy to see that structured doodling is such a great learning tool!
School Photos will be taken on this coming Wednesday.
We will host our first FLEA MARKET of the year this coming Friday the 14th. If you haven’t been privy to this before, it’s pretty simple: help your 5th grader gather up items they no longer want/need or a craft they made. Send these with them to school on Friday but don’t claim the open space just yet - they WILL be bringing home new-to-them items they have bought (blue classroom tickets is our currency) or traded for. It’s so much fun for them and also an important exercise in budgeting, trade concepts, and economics in general.
MESSAGE FROM OUR WONDERFUL PTA:
PLEASE sign up for the newsletter if you aren’t already. All school communications, including those coming from Mr. Connor, come through this subscription. They are sent out on Sunday evenings.
There are 2 ways to subscribe:
- Text WGPTA to 22828
A HUGE Thank You for the GENEROUS donations to our classroom and Science Lab of Clorox Wipes, colored paper, index cards, and tissues. I feel so lucky every day to live and work in this wonderful community!!!
I’m off to enjoy this sun-filled weekend and hoping you are all happy and healthy!
It was wonderful seeing so many of you at Open House on Thursday; thank you for coming and thanks so much for the amazing support!!! Thank you SO MUCH for Field Trip monies and for the classroom donations - IT IS SO APPRECIATED!!!
~ if you didn't get a chance to donate, please send in $50 for field trips and $25 for classroom supplies - they can put on one check made out to 'WALNUT GROVE'. Again- THANK YOU!
We mostly worked through 'getting to know you and me' items last week with Time Capsules and interest surveys taking up much of our time. We learned how to pick 'just right books' and the processes, procedures, and expectations for Room 102 and 5th Grade.
It's going to be an INCREDIBLE YEAR!!!
This week we will start Homework in earnest. Reading and studying spelling each night and possibly Math Homework Workbook (if your student didn't get it done in the time allotted in class). We will be working on getting better at our Multiplication Facts as well so you may seen some student-made flash cards coming home.
PLEASE SIGN YOUR STUDENT'S PLANNER EACH NIGHT - this is how they get credit for the homework and earn Fun Friday.
We will begin our Reader's & Writer's workshops as well as our Regions Projects this week. The grammar and vocabulary notebooks will get christened as well.
Everyone - get to bed! It's going to be a FUN-FILLED, LEARNING-PACKED week and I. CAN'T. WAIT!!!!
- fill out the volunteer clearance form
- fill out the 'getting to know you' online form for me to get to know your child from your perspective.
- sign up for conferences in November (or shoot me and email for a different day/time)
- check out our classroom photos so far -FLASHLIGHT FRIDAY WAS A HUGE HIT!
- We still need a Classroom PTA Rep - this person will attend the PTA Meeting and report back to our class anything we need to know. I am the Staff PTA Rep so it would be nice spending this time with YOU! If you can fill this very important position, please let me know.
- we are SO LUCKY to have a Science Lab lead by our super talented Denicia Erickson!!! She doesn't have the Parent Contact that we do and her Lab is in constant need of specific donations. Currently, she needs:
- Kleenex, hand sanitizer, glue sticks, pencils, paper towels :-)
If you have extras or are in a position to donate, please send those items to school with a note to Science Lab and I will make sure that Mrs. Erickson receives them.
We had a GREAT first day! It was so nice seeing old friends and making new ones - this is going to be a wonderful year!
You should find your child's Monday Folder in their backpack; please take the papers out, sign the Assignment Planner, and return both with your 5th grader tomorrow.
Please look for an invitation to our Class Shutterfly Site coming to you in the next few days. Also, please follow the 2 links below to sign up for Parent Conferences in November and a form to let me know more about your amazing 5th grader!
Looking forward to seeing you all on Thursday night.
WHERE’S ROOM 102?!?!
Mondays: 11:30 AM PE
Tuesdays: 11:30 AM - 12:15 PM Computer Lab, 1:10 PM SCIENCE, & 2:05 PM BAND
Wednesdays: 1:10 PM SCIENCE
Thursdays: 8:15 AM MUSIC & 9:00 AM PE
Fridays: 9:00 - 9:45 AM Computer Lab