Welcome to the Personal Project website for Inderkum High School!
Here you find resources and materials to help you navigate the process of completing your personal project with the guidance of your English teacher and your personal project supervisor.
The Personal Project is the culminating project for your MYP experience. It is your chance to show how you have grown and reflects the Approaches to Learning (ATL) skills you have developed. It also is the opportunity for you to produce a piece of work that is truly personal and meaningful for YOU. It doesn't matter how busy you are; you have a hobby or passion that you pursue (or have always wanted to pursue) outside of school. The Personal Project is an opportunity for every student to get resources to pursue that passion.
The personal project has three main components:
- a process journal
- your outcome/product
- a written report.
What kind of project can you create?
The outcome or product of a personal project will vary depending on the nature of the goal of the project.
Some interesting Inderkum Personal Projects have been:
- fabricating a custom-made Cos-Play costume (complete with metal armor, a dulled sword, and face-mask)
- writing a heritage cookbook complete with family recipes from various cultures and pictures
- learning a family language in order to communicate with relatives
- learning the guitar or ukulele and recording an original song
- showcasing Sacramento art and culture through photography
- creating a short film
The following are the required components that will be turned in when you complete the Personal Project.
- MYP projects academic honesty form: You will complete and sign this form at each meeting with your supervisor.
- Project report: a 1500-3500 word report that discusses what you learned and created throughout the process.
- Process Journal extracts: You will include ten (10) short excerpts from your process journal that exemplify the knowledge and skills you developed as appendices to your report.
- Bibliography: Following MLA format, you will include a bibliography of your sources.
- Evidence of your product/outcome: You must provide evidence of your outcome or product. This can include one of the following:
- 5 still images presented in a single PDF
- 30 seconds of audio/visual
- 1 A4page of text
There are four objectives for the personal project. Each objective is similar to the IB Design cycle for inquiry. The personal project is assessed using these four objectives.
Objective A: Investigating
i. Define a clear goal and context for the project, based on personal interests
ii. Identify prior learning and subject-specific knowledge relevant to the project
iii. Demonstrate research skills
Objective B: Planning
i. Develop criterion for the product/outcome
ii. Plan and record the development process of the project
iii. Demonstrate self-management skills
Objective C: Taking Action
i. Create a product/outcome in response to the goal, context, and criteria
ii. Demonstrate thinking skills
iii. Demonstrate communication and social skills
Criterion D: Reflecting
i. Evaluate the quality of the product/outcome against their criteria
ii. Reflect on how completing the project has extended their knowledge and understanding of the topic and global context
iii. Reflect on their development as IB learners throughout the project