Courtyard Entrance

Contains a variety of historical artefacts.

1. Lobby. A later addition to the original building, this room was a staff entrance and is now used for book and souvenir sales. There are photographs of Victoria Pass, plans of Mount Victoria Railway Station and items associated with the district.

2. Dining Room. This room, with access from the station platform, seated 51 people who were served a three-course meal in 23 minutes. Tables were decorated with white linen, china, silver-plated cutlery, jugs and bowls.

On display are paintings, photographs and memorabilia of early residents, tourism industry, old documents and maps, railway memorabilia, a display depicting the building of the western road by convicts – including artefacts recovered from Cox’s River stockade – and details of the convict system. On display are the Mel Ward Natural History Collection which includes exotic birds and an insect collection donated by the Australian Museum.

3. Saloon or Refreshment Room. Light refreshments such as tea, coffee, sandwiches, pies, cakes and fruit were served from behind a long counter that ran the length of the room. Public access was through the double doors from the station platform. The bar was in this room until 1941.

The Saloon now houses a music display which features phonographs, gramophones, harmonium and piano accordion. Farming tools and implements, a forge, a horse-drawn buggy and a hand-made harrow are examples of the early settlers’ life in Kanimbla Valley district.

Convict leg irons, handcuffs and a cat-o-nine-tails depict the convict era. Examples include Lithgow pottery, local convict made bricks and coal mining equipment. An early printing press used by a local firm is displayed as are items from WWI. Two period gowns are displayed for those unable to access the Gown Room upstairs.

4. Pantry. This room contained a stove where pies, coffee and tea were prepared. Early kitchen furniture and appliances are displayed. An impressive collection of cast iron domestic utensils is placed around the open fireplace including old irons, kerosene and fuel cooking stoves.

5. Laundry Room (formerly Sandwich Room). Old wooden tubs, hand-operated washing machines, fuel coppers, butter churns and mangles indicate the arduous domestic tasks undertaken by women in earlier times.

6. Exhibition Room (original Refreshment/Dining Room Kitchen). This room once housed two coal fired stoves with two ovens each, storage cupboards, large ice chest and a 5-door refrigerator. Presently the room houses items relating to the crossing of the Blue Mountains in 1813 by Blaxland, Wentworth and Lawson. This room is used for exhibitions, meetings and presentations.


The display case contains a handsewn double bed quilt made in the early 1800s.

Upper Floor

After closure, the Refreshment Room Manager’s residence became the Station Master and family’s quarters. Female staff occupied rooms on the northern end of this floor. Male staff occupied rooms on the opposite platform.


Photographs of various historical subjects are displayed.

7. Diorama Room. PLEASE NOTE: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are warned that some of the exhibits in this room may contain depictions of people who have died.

This room contains part of the Mel Ward Collection including Australian fauna and dioramas of traditional Papua New Guinea life.

8. Technology Room. The collection of photographic equipment, cameras and projectors illustrate the technical advance of photography. There is also a display of early sewing machines, typewriters, printing machines and early photographs of the Blue Mountains by Charles Kerry.

9. Store Room – Closed

10. School Room. Has a collection of desks, one from ‘The School’ which operated in Mount Victoria (established in 1885) and was run by headmaster and owner Henry Rienits. Exercise books, textbooks, slates, pens, pencils, chalk and other school equipment are exhibited.

11. Gown Room. Contains fashion of the 19th century with examples of fine needlework and features an 1899 brocade wedding gown, hand-made underwear, children’s christening gowns, male evening attire and a selection of tortoise-shell items.

12. Store Room – Closed

13. Store Room – Closed

14. Store Room – Closed

15. Medical Room. Items in this room were donated by locals, including a doctor and pharmacist. Early apparatus such as anaesthetic and diathermy machines are displayed. Medicines from another era are on show as well as artefacts which demonstrate past medical practices.

16. Lounge Room. This room contains a collection of furniture, artefacts and artworks from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Personal items donated by local families are on display and include a women’s late 1850s silk jacket and skirt ensemble.

17. Service and Recreation Room. Contains a collection of memorabilia related to public services and recreation.

18. Bedroom. This room has been set up as a typical parent’s bedroom with objects including a brass bed, washstand and baby’s bassinet.

19. Osborne Ladies’ College. This room contains a unique collection of memorabilia relating to the College at Blackheath and the career of its headmistress Violet Gibbins.

20. Store Room – Closed